Action and Reaction - I. Newton

In summary, the question is whether the Earth has acceleration towards a person standing on Mt. Everest, and if so, why. The answer is yes, but the acceleration is very small due to the large mass of the Earth. This could potentially become a topic of discussion in the future, similar to how global warming is currently being debated.
tkojemile
Hi,

I have for me a complex question! :(

If I get to Mt. Everest (let's say - highest place on Earth), then there is acceleration of my body towards the Earth - because of g - gravity force.

Now - question is does Earth have acceleration towards my body - as 3rd Isaac N. law would say!

And if it has - why?

Thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The difference being, the acceleration on the Earth is negligible. Let's take f=ma, you exert, say, 800N (i.e. 80kg * 9.8ms-2) downwards. Likewise, the Earth now has a force 800N acting upwards. But, since that 800N is acting on 238083259285928234523kg of mass, the acceleration is just too small for anyone to care.

Maybe when global warming dies off, we'll move onto "global acceleration"?

dst said:
Maybe when global warming dies off, we'll move onto "global acceleration"?

Good one! Thanks for AW.

1. What is Newton's third law of motion?

According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

2. How does Newton's third law apply to everyday life?

Newton's third law can be seen in many everyday situations, such as walking. When we take a step, our foot exerts a force on the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on our foot, allowing us to move forward.

3. Is there an exception to Newton's third law?

No, there is no exception to Newton's third law. It applies to all objects and all interactions, whether they are in motion or at rest.

4. How does Newton's third law relate to momentum?

Newton's third law is closely related to momentum, as the equal and opposite forces in an action-reaction pair can cause changes in an object's momentum. This is why it is important to consider both the magnitude and direction of forces in a system.

5. Can you give an example of an action-reaction pair?

One example of an action-reaction pair is when a person is rowing a boat. As they push against the oars, the oars push back with an equal force, propelling the boat forward. Another example is when a balloon is inflated, the air being blown into the balloon exerts a force on the balloon, causing it to expand, and the balloon exerts an equal and opposite force on the air, propelling it out of the balloon.