LaTeX: Drawing Coxeter/Dynkin graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a package to draw Coxeter graphs and Dynkin diagrams in LaTeX directly. The speaker is currently taking Lie-algebra's and is looking for a simple way to draw these diagrams without having to use a vector program like Inkscape. They express a preference for a package that can label vertices and is not too complicated. Other suggestions for drawing the diagrams include using the picture environment or exporting from xfig or JPicEdt. A package called "graphs" is also mentioned as a potential option.
CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi.

Do you know of any package to draw Coxeter graphs and Dynkin diagrams in LaTeX directly?

Currently I'm taking Lie-algebra's and working out my assignment in (PDF)-LaTeX. I need to draw a simple Coxeter graph / Dynkin diagram, like the following:
O==o--o--o--o--o==O
where o indicates an open dot, O a closed dot, --- stands for a single line and === for a double line. I don't really care about the dots, it's also fine if I can put an arrow through the line
o==<==o--o--o--o--o==>==o
as long as I can indicate the shorter and longer roots.

Alternatively, it'd be nice to label the vertices, but that's not a requisite for me. Of course, I can draw such a diagram in Paint (eeek) or a vector program like Inkscape (overkill?) but I was wondering if there doesn't just exist some LaTeX package that will do this for me. Not too complicated please, probably I can use MetaPost, but a) I'd have to learn it and b) I'd have to switch from pdfLaTeX to latex,dvi->ps->pdf which is way too complicated.

Any ideas?

PS Didn't know what would be the best forum, I just guessed this one because I think here I have the largest chance of someone active in this subject who uses this regularly coming by.

Physics news on Phys.org
CompuChip said:
PS Didn't know what would be the best forum, I just guessed this one because I think here I have the largest chance of someone active in this subject who uses this regularly coming by.
Maybe sci.math is a better bet.

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering.

2. What is a Coxeter/Dynkin graph?

A Coxeter/Dynkin graph is a visual representation of the abstract structure of a mathematical object called a Coxeter group. It is used to study symmetries and other properties of geometric objects and is often used in the study of crystallography.

3. How do I draw a Coxeter/Dynkin graph using LaTeX?

To draw a Coxeter/Dynkin graph in LaTeX, you can use the package "dynkin-diagrams" which provides a set of commands and options for drawing different types of Coxeter/Dynkin graphs.

4. What is the advantage of using LaTeX for drawing Coxeter/Dynkin graphs?

LaTeX offers precise control over the layout and formatting of mathematical equations and diagrams, making it an ideal tool for drawing complex graphs such as Coxeter/Dynkin graphs. It also allows for easy integration of mathematical symbols and notation.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to draw Coxeter/Dynkin graphs in LaTeX?

Yes, there are many online tutorials and guides available for learning how to draw Coxeter/Dynkin graphs in LaTeX. Some recommended resources include the LaTeX Wikibook and the official documentation for the "dynkin-diagrams" package.