Calculate Total Collisions of Free Electrons in Extension Cord

• Thread starter fubag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, a current of 8.0 A is flowing through a 3.00 m extension cord made of copper wire with a diameter of 1.5 mm. The charge of an electron is 1.6 * 10^-19 C, and the resistivity of copper is 1.7 * 10^-8 Omega*m. The concentration of free electrons in copper is 8.5 * 10^28 m^-3. To find the total number of collisions that the free electrons undergo in one second, the formula V_d = a*Tau was used, but the value for the electric field could not be determined. Suggestions for finding the answer were requested.
fubag
A current of I=8.0\;\rm A is flowing in a typical extension cord of length L=3.00 m. The cord is made of copper wire with diameter d=1.5mm.

The charge of the electron is e=1.6 *10^{-19} C. The resistivity of copper is \rho=1.7 *10^{-8}\; Omega*m. The concentration of free electrons in copper is n=8.5 *10^{28}\;m^{-3}.

Find the total number of collisions ( N_c) that all free electrons in this extension cord undergo in one second.

I know Velocity(drift) = 3.3 * 10^-4 m/s.

I tried to relate the formula V_d = a*Tau, to find Tau the time between collisions...

However given the information I was stuck solving for a = eE/M_e, because I could not determine the electric field...

Can someone please assist me on what information I might be missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

im still stuck on this question...

ok so since no one seems to have a clue about this problem...

any suggestions of where I may be able to find the answer?

1. How can I calculate the total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord?

To calculate the total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord, you will need to know the length of the extension cord, the material it is made of, and the current flowing through it. You can then use the formula: Total Collisions = (Length of Extension Cord x Current^2 x Material Constant) / Electron Charge. This will give you the number of collisions per second.

2. What is the significance of calculating total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord?

The total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord can help us understand the resistance and efficiency of the cord. The more collisions there are, the more energy is lost as heat, resulting in a higher resistance and lower efficiency.

3. Can the total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord affect the performance of my electronic devices?

Yes, the total collisions of free electrons can have an impact on the performance of your electronic devices. High levels of collisions can cause overheating and damage to the devices, leading to malfunctions or reduced lifespan.

4. Is there a way to reduce the total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord. You can use a thicker or more conductive material for the cord, or decrease the length of the cord. Additionally, using a surge protector or power strip with built-in filters can help reduce collisions.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to high total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord?

Yes, high total collisions of free electrons in an extension cord can pose a safety hazard. The excess heat from the collisions can cause fires or damage to the cord, and potentially harm anyone in the vicinity. It is important to regularly check and replace damaged or worn extension cords to avoid potential safety risks.