Comsol Multiphysics/Script - Heat transfer problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around setting a heat flux boundary condition on a moving boundary in a 2D heat conduction problem using Comsol Multiphysics and Comsol script. The users are seeking guidance on how to properly set the condition and have encountered errors while trying to modify the geometry field in the script. Another user also has a question about imposing a temperature jump at the interface between two subdomains in a heat conduction problem.
PoPol25
Hi everybody,

I'm a new user of Comsol Multiphysics and Comsol script. And I'm working on a conduction problem, with convective and radiative heat flux at one boundary. The geometry is quite simple: 2D rectangle. But the upper boundary is supposed to be moving with time (linear or exponential law)

How do I set a heat flux boundary condition on this boundary and specify at the same time that the boundary is moving?

Can I do it on the Multiphysics interface or should I do it through the script (how?) ?

I tried to modify the "geometry field" in the script by setting a rectangle with a dimension moving with time, but I get an error when I try to solve.

Please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi everybody,
In ComSol, how can I impose a condition of the jump of the temperature ([T] = Tu - Td) at the interface between two subdomains in the heat conduction problem?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hi everybody!
I have a problem with Comsol: I'm using the heat transfer application mode- conduction and convection in 2D axial simmetry.I need to impose an heat flux of a certain value in a simple subdomain, a rectangle. Comsol let me impose heat transfer only on boundaries, but not inside a subdomain, how can I do?
Please help! Thank you in advance

1. What is Comsol Multiphysics?

Comsol Multiphysics is a finite element analysis software program used for modeling and simulating various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, electromagnetics, and structural mechanics.

2. What is a heat transfer problem?

A heat transfer problem involves the transfer of thermal energy from one object or system to another. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation, and is often modeled and analyzed using software like Comsol Multiphysics.

3. How does Comsol Multiphysics handle heat transfer problems?

Comsol Multiphysics uses the finite element method to discretize and solve the governing equations for heat transfer. It allows for the use of different boundary conditions, material properties, and geometries to accurately model and simulate heat transfer phenomena.

4. Can Comsol Multiphysics be used to optimize heat transfer processes?

Yes, Comsol Multiphysics can be used to optimize heat transfer processes by allowing for the design and testing of different geometries, materials, and operating conditions. This helps to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of heat transfer systems.

5. Is Comsol Multiphysics user-friendly for beginners?

Comsol Multiphysics has a user-friendly interface and provides tutorials and examples to help beginners get started. However, a basic understanding of finite element analysis and the physical principles involved in heat transfer is recommended for effective use of the software.