Getting a Mouse Trap Car to Move

• Thread starter rosie_w
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses making a mouse trap car and the difficulty of getting the wheels to move with the snap of the mouse trap. The speaker asks for ideas on how to attach the mousetrap and the car to make it work and travel a fair distance. They also mention looking at a music box for inspiration and discuss the need for a constant and sustainable speed.
rosie_w
Hey, I need to make a mouse trap car, and we have the base, wheels and axel and mousetrap all put together but for some reason we can't get the wheels to move with the snap of the mouse trap. Any ideas on what to attach to the mousetrap and the car itself to make it work, and travel a fair distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Rosie!

How is it currently attached? Is the bar of the mousetrap attached to the wheels in any way? A "friend of a friend" of mine recently did a project like this, and there are several ways to approach it, but we'd need to know how you've got it set up at the moment, and what your ideas are before we could tell you much.

Try looking at a music box i.e. spring loaded gears turning a wheel. I am picturing a vehicle with a fairly constant and sustainable speed. Is this what you are going for?

bsanjaw -check your gmail for an email about confirming your registration here. You will need to log-in to reply to threads.

1. How do I make my mouse trap car move faster?

The key to making a mouse trap car move faster is reducing friction and increasing the force applied to the wheels. This can be done by using smoother materials for the wheels, reducing the weight of the car, and adjusting the position of the mouse trap to maximize the pulling force.

2. How can I improve the distance my mouse trap car travels?

To improve the distance of your mouse trap car, you can make sure the wheels are aligned properly and that there is minimal friction on the axles. You can also try using a longer lever arm for the mouse trap, as this will increase the pulling force and therefore the distance traveled.

3. What is the best design for a mouse trap car?

The best design for a mouse trap car will depend on your goals and resources. However, a lightweight and aerodynamic design with smooth wheels, a long lever arm, and minimal friction on the axles tends to work well for speed and distance.

4. How do I calculate the force and speed of my mouse trap car?

The force and speed of a mouse trap car can be calculated using basic physics equations. The pulling force can be calculated by measuring the distance the mouse trap arm moves and the spring constant of the trap. The speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a mouse trap car?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a mouse trap car include using heavy materials, not properly aligning the wheels, and having too much friction on the axles. It is also important to make sure the lever arm is securely attached to the axle and that the mouse trap is set up properly for maximum pulling force.