Lim inf and product commutation

In summary, the question is whether the liminf of the product of two sequences is equal to the product of their liminfs. It is true for non-negative sequences and one counterexample is given for the other direction.
jostpuur
If [tex]f_1,f_2,f_3,\ldots[/tex] and [tex]g_1,g_2,g_3,\ldots[/tex] are some arbitrary real sequences, is it true that

[tex]
\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\;(f_n g_n) = (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; f_n) (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; g_n)?
[/tex]

For arbitrary [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex] there exists [tex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/tex] so that

[tex]
n > N\quad\implies\quad f_n > \underset{k\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; f_k \;-\; \epsilon,
[/tex]

so

[tex]
\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\;(f_n g_n) \geq \underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\big((\underset{k\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; f_k \;-\; \epsilon) g_n\big) \;=\; (\underset{k\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; f_k \;-\; \epsilon) (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; g_n),
[/tex]

which implies

[tex]
\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\;(f_n g_n) \geq (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; f_n) (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; g_n),
[/tex]

but I don't know how to do the other direction.

edit: I just realized I'm assuming [tex]\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; g_n \geq 0[/tex] in the calculation, although it was not my original intention, but I think I'll try to not fix it in the remaining editing time. (Actually assuming [tex]\underset{k\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; f_k - \epsilon \geq 0[/tex] too...)

edit edit: In fact I think I'll add the assumption that the sequences are non-negative, because otherwise I have a counter example [tex] (f_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}} = (1,-1,1,-1,\ldots)[/tex], [tex](g_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}}=(-1,1,-1,1,\ldots)[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got this thing solved. If [tex]f_1,f_2,f_3,\ldots[/tex] and [tex]g_1,g_2,g_3,\ldots[/tex] are some arbitrary non-negative sequences, then

[tex]
\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\;(f_n g_n) \geq (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; f_n) (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; g_n),
[/tex]

is the best one can say about the liminfs. One counter example for other direction is

[tex]
(f_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}} = (1,\frac{1}{2},1,\frac{1}{2},\ldots),
\quad\quad
(g_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}} = (\frac{1}{2},1,\frac{1}{2},1,\ldots),
[/tex]

because

[tex]
\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\;(f_n g_n) = \frac{1}{2} > \frac{1}{4} = (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; f_n) (\underset{n\to\infty}{\textrm{lim inf}}\; g_n).
[/tex]

Thank you very much.

1. What is the definition of lim inf?

The lim inf (limit inferior) is a mathematical concept that represents the smallest limit point of a sequence or function. It is denoted as lim inf a_n, where a_n is a sequence.

2. How is lim inf calculated?

The lim inf is calculated by taking the limit of the infimum (greatest lower bound) of a sequence or function. In other words, it is the smallest value that the sequence or function approaches as its index approaches infinity.

3. What is the relationship between lim inf and product commutation?

Lim inf and product commutation are related in that the lim inf of a product can be rewritten as the product of lim inf's. This means that lim inf and product commutation can be used interchangeably in certain mathematical proofs and calculations.

4. How does lim inf affect the convergence of a sequence?

For a sequence to be convergent, the lim inf must be equal to the lim sup (limit superior). If the lim inf is different from the lim sup, then the sequence is said to be divergent. Therefore, the lim inf is an important factor in determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence.

5. Can lim inf be used to calculate the limit of a function?

No, lim inf and limit are two different concepts. While the limit of a function is a specific value that the function approaches as its input approaches a certain value, lim inf represents the smallest limit point of a sequence or function. However, in certain cases, lim inf can be used to prove the existence of a limit for a function.