Electric field from a wire with a stationary current

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence and effect of an electric field, E1, inside a wire with a stationary current I. The question is raised about whether a point P at a vertical distance s from the wire is affected by this electric field, and if it is the same as the field when the wire has a uniform charge spread over it. It is concluded that if the current is constant, there will be no electric field outside the wire, but a constant magnetic field instead. This is because the wire is electrically neutral from an outside observer.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I I have a wire, and a stationary current I runs through it, then an electric field E1 runs inside the wire in the same direction as the current.

If we look at a point P a vertical distance s from the wire, does P get affected by an electric field from the wire? If yes, is this the same field as when the wire just has a uniform charge spread over it?

Physics news on Phys.org
if the current is constant, i don't think there will be any electric field outside of the wire. You'll have a constant magnetic field (constant - so it doesn't generate an electric field)... and because the wire is still electrically neutral from an outside observer - there will be no E-field.

That makes sence, thanks.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by electric field lines, which point in the direction of the force that a positive charge would experience if placed in that field.

How is an electric field created by a wire with a stationary current?

When there is a current (flow of electrical charge) in a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field then interacts with the electric charges in the surrounding space, creating an electric field.

What direction does the electric field point in relation to the wire?

The electric field points radially outward from the wire, perpendicular to the direction of the wire and the magnetic field it creates.

How does the strength of the electric field change with distance from the wire?

The strength of the electric field decreases as you move further away from the wire. This is because the magnetic field created by the current decreases with distance, which in turn affects the strength of the electric field.

Can the direction and strength of the electric field be changed?

Yes, the direction and strength of the electric field can be changed by altering the current in the wire or by changing the distance from the wire. Additionally, the presence of other electric charges in the surrounding space can also affect the direction and strength of the electric field.