Wave Function Spherical Coordinates Probabilities

In summary, the homework statement is that a system's wave function has the form\psi(r, \theta, \phi) = f(t, \theta)cos\phiWith what probability will measurement of L_z yield the value m = 1?The probability comes from the equation<Psi | L_z | Psi> = mThen, the probability of getting 1 is 1^2=1? Likewise, the probability of getting 0 is 0? I'm pretty sure I'm wrong here, can someone please correct me?<\Psi | L_z | \Psi> is
brooke1525

Homework Statement

A system's wave function has the form

[tex]\psi(r, \theta, \phi) = f(t, \theta)cos\phi[/tex]

With what probability will measurement of [tex]L_z[/tex] yield the value m = 1?

Homework Equations

[tex]L_z|\ell, m> = m|\ell, m>[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like there may be a typo, in that that "t" should be "r" in the wave function. Is there a general expression for [tex]\psi_{n,\ell,m}[/tex] that I should know/use?

Physics news on Phys.org
use the postulate of quantum mechanics. it says when you measure something, you'll get one of its eigenvalues with probabilities equal to the |coefficient|^2 of the corresponding eigenstates.

What is the proper eigenvalue equation to use?

The one you displayed under "2. Homework Equations "!

So the probability L_z will give m=1 comes from:

<Psi | L_z | Psi> = m

Then, the probability of getting 1 is 1^2=1? Likewise, the probability of getting 0 is 0? I'm pretty sure I'm wrong here, can someone please correct me?

[tex]<\Psi | L_z | \Psi>[/tex] is the expectation (i.e., average) value of L_z.

The probabilities to find specific values m for L_z follow from writing your wavefunction in the form

[tex]|\Psi>=\sum_m c_m |l,m>[/tex]

as in your special case you only have 1 value of l in the superposition.
In this case the probability to find the value "m" is given by

[tex]P_m=|c_m|^2[/tex]

More generally, you'd write

[tex]|\Psi>=\sum_m \sum_l a_{lm}|l,m>[/tex]

and the probabilty to find the result "m" would be given by a sum over l:

[tex]P_m=\sum_l |a_{lm}|^2[/tex](And use that the wavefunction should be normalized properly!)

Why is there only one value of l in my case? I'm assuming I need to use some separation of variables in order to put the wave function in the appropriate form? I think I'm having a hard time seeing what I'm supposed to do with that wave function that was given to me. And that "t" is throwing me off...

Can anybody give me a clue here? I'm preparing for a test tomorrow, so I'd really, really appreciate the help!

brooke, use the spherical harmonics, you should have a table of them. Then you rewrite f(t,theta*cos(phi) as a function of them. Then use the fact that L_Z is an eigenoperator on those functions.

"First few spherical harmonics"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_harmonics

Now you study where the phi depandance is on these functions, and you might want to rewrite your cos(phi) to exponentials using eulers formula..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula

So for clarification.

i) the Spherical Harmonics is a complete basis for angular functions, you can express any function dep. on anges as a sum of those sphreical harmonics, compare with Fourier series.

ii) The spherical harmonics is eigenfunctions to L_z operator with eigenvalue m.

iii) You don't need to know the values of L in this problem, just look at the phi dependence of the function you are given and have a look at the spherical harmonics on the page i gave you or in your book. You will find that only two possible spherical harmonics exists.

iv) Rewrite your phi-dependence in terms of exponentials

1. What is a wave function in spherical coordinates?

A wave function in spherical coordinates is a mathematical description of the probability of finding a particle in a particular location in three-dimensional space, given its position, momentum, and energy. It is often denoted as Ψ(r, θ, φ) where r is the radius, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

2. How is the probability calculated in spherical coordinates?

The probability in spherical coordinates is calculated using the absolute square of the wave function, Ψ*Ψ, where Ψ* is the complex conjugate of the wave function. This gives the probability density, which is the likelihood of finding the particle in a small volume element at a specific point in space.

3. What are spherical harmonics and how are they related to the wave function in spherical coordinates?

Spherical harmonics are solutions to the angular portion of the wave function in spherical coordinates. They are spherical versions of the Fourier series and describe the spatial distribution of the wave function. The overall wave function is a combination of the radial and angular components, with the spherical harmonics providing the angular dependence.

4. How does the wave function change with different quantum numbers in spherical coordinates?

The wave function in spherical coordinates depends on three quantum numbers: n, l, and m. The principal quantum number, n, determines the energy level of the particle. The angular quantum number, l, determines the shape of the wave function and the orbital angular momentum of the particle. The magnetic quantum number, m, determines the orientation of the wave function in space. Changing these quantum numbers will result in different wave functions with different probabilities.

5. How are the probabilities of finding a particle in spherical coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

In spherical coordinates, the probabilities are described in terms of a radial component, which represents the distance from the origin, and two angular components, which describe the directional dependence. In contrast, in Cartesian coordinates, the probabilities are described in terms of three-dimensional space with x, y, and z coordinates. The probabilities in spherical coordinates also have a different mathematical form, using spherical harmonics instead of Cartesian equations.