Calculating Air Escape from a Balloon: How Much Air is Lost in the First Minute?

In summary: The bounds are created by taking the lower limit of r(1) which is 30 cubic feet per minute and multiplying it by 60 seconds in a minute. So the bounds are 30*60 or 180 cubic feet per minute. The gap is created by taking the upper limit of r(1) which is 60 cubic feet per minute and subtracting the bounds. So the gap is 60-180 or 10 cubic feet per minute.In summary, 30 cubic feet per minute escape the balloon in the first minute.
sonofjohn
Air is escaping from a balloon at a rate of R(t) = 60/(1+t2) cubic feet per minute, where t is measured in minutes. How much air, in cubic feet, escapes during the first minute?

dr/dt = 60/(1 + t2)
if I plug the time in (1) for (t) I should get 60/2 or 30

This seems a tad bit too easy compared to the rest of the problems I have been doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because 30 cu ft/min is the rate that air is escaping at t=1. At t=0 it's 60 cu ft/min. Neither one answers the question "much air, in cubic feet, escapes during the first minute".

sonofjohn said:
Air is escaping from a balloon at a rate of R(t) = 60/(1+t2) cubic feet per minute, where t is measured in minutes. How much air, in cubic feet, escapes during the first minute?

dr/dt = 60/(1 + t2)

This seems a tad bit too easy compared to the rest of the problems I have been doing.
R(1)= 30 cubic feet per minute is the rate at which air is escaping at t= 1 minute. It is NOT the amount of air that has escaped in that minute.

If the rate were a constant, then the amount of air escaping in "t" minutes would be that constant rate times t. Here, it is NOT a constant so the amount of air escaping between t= 0 and t= 1 (the first minute) is the integral of the rate function from t= 0 to 1.

sonofjohn said:

dr/dt = 60/(1 + t2)
You have R(t) and dr/dt both equal to the same expression, which is almost certainly not what you meant. Per your description, R(t) is a rate, so is already the derivative of something (radius?) with respect to time.

dr/dt is the derivative of r (what is r? Is it the same as R?) with respect to time.

Try to use the same variable names consistently or you will increase the opportunities for confusion in both yourself and anyone reading your work.
Try to keep a function and its derivative separate. It's conceivable that you will soon be working with a function and two of its derivatives. If you don't keep them all separate, you'll get hopelessly confused.
sonofjohn said:

Ok, I see that 30t is the rate at which the air escapes the balloon. To find how much air leaves the balloon in a minute, I must take the integral from 0 to 1 of 30t.

Once completed, I got 15 cubic feet escaped the balloon in one minute. Is that even possible? If the air escapes at 30cubic feet a minute, wouldn't the answer be over 30 cubic feet a minute?

Sure. It would have to be over 30 cu ft. (Be careful with your units). But WHY are you integrating 30t? They gave you dr/dt. Integrate that to get r(t).

Ahh, that does make sense that I don't integrate the amount of air that escapes the balloon within a minute but rather the rate at which the air escapes the balloon per minute. If I do that I should integrate 60/(1 + t^2) from 0 to 1. Once done I get 30 as an answer.

sonofjohn said:
Ahh, that does make sense that I don't integrate the amount of air that escapes the balloon within a minute but rather the rate at which the air escapes the balloon per minute. If I do that I should integrate 60/(1 + t^2) from 0 to 1. Once done I get 30 as an answer.

No. You don't get 30 as an answer. The answer should be between 60 and 30. Since those were the beginning and ending rates.

I see what I did, I took the derivative instead of the integral. I need to use the arctan formula instead.

60(1/(1 + t^2)) when you take the integral with the arctan formula

formula:

integral(du/(a^2 + u^2)) = 1/a(arctan(u/a) + C)

so

integral 60(1/1(arctan(t/1)) from 0 to 1

Once solved I get pi/4

No you don't. Pi/4 is (roughly) 3/4. As Dick said, your answer should be between 30 and 60. Haven't you forgotten something?

Yes. pi/4*60. Cubic feet.

Mark44 said:
No you don't. Pi/4 is (roughly) 3/4. As Dick said, your answer should be between 30 and 60. Haven't you forgotten something?

Yep I wrote it wrong I should actually get 15pi

Right. Also note that 15pi is about 45 (very rough approximate), so it fills the bill of being between 30 and 60.

I see. How are the bounds or how is the gap created?

1. How does air escape from a balloon?

Air escapes from a balloon due to the difference in air pressure inside and outside the balloon. When the balloon is inflated, the air pressure inside is higher than the air pressure outside. As the balloon deflates, the air pressure inside decreases, causing the air to escape.

2. Why does a balloon deflate over time?

A balloon will deflate over time due to the permeability of the material it is made of. The rubber or latex material of a balloon is not completely airtight, so as the air molecules inside the balloon move around and escape through the material, the balloon will gradually deflate.

3. How long does it take for a balloon to completely deflate?

The amount of time it takes for a balloon to completely deflate depends on various factors such as the material of the balloon, the size of the balloon, and the air pressure inside. In general, a balloon will take a few hours to completely deflate.

4. Can air escape from a balloon even if it is not popped?

Yes, air can escape from a balloon even if it is not popped. The process of air escaping from a balloon is called diffusion, and it can occur even if there are no holes or tears in the balloon. This is because the material of a balloon is not completely airtight and allows air molecules to pass through it.

5. How can I prevent air from escaping from a balloon?

The best way to prevent air from escaping from a balloon is to use a material that is more airtight, such as mylar or foil balloons. These materials have a lower permeability, meaning they are less likely to let air molecules pass through. Additionally, avoiding sharp objects or rough surfaces can also help prevent the balloon from popping and releasing air.