Absorbed photons, emmited photons

• Thread starter stickplot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, a photon is absorbed when its energy matches the energy of a transition in an atom, causing the atom to move to a higher energy state. Conversely, a photon is emitted when an atom moves from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. If the initial state of the atom is k=1, it can only absorb a photon and cannot de-excite. If the calculated value of n is not an integer, it would not be absorbed. However, any excess energy from the absorbed photon may be converted into kinetic energy.
stickplot

Homework Statement

how can i tell if a photon is being emmited or absorbed?

Homework Equations

hc/lambda= energy per photon
1/lambda=r(1/n^2-1/k^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

photons are absorbed when the energy of the photon= energy of transition?
when are they emmited?
and i thought that energy of photon was always = to energy of transition so I am a bit confused.
for example, A photon with λ = 600 nm interacts with a hydrogen atom in fundamental state is the photon absorbed? how can i see whether it is or not?
i know fundamental state is k=1 but i don't know how i can see whether it is being absorbed or not

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an easy one: When a photon is absorbed it promotes the atom to a higher energy state. So absorption takes place when the final state is higher than the initial state. When a photon is emitted it is a de-excitation of the atom. That is, the atom goes from a higher state to a lower state.

If the initial state is k=1 then the only thing the atom can do is absorb a photon. It can't de-excite to a lower energy level because there's nowhere for it to go.

o ok.
but if k=1 and i get n=1.08 and since only integers are accepted would it round off to 1 and not absorb? or since it is a larger number than 1 it would absorb?

btw
if it absorbs, would the rest of the energy that was left that didnt absorb turn into kinetic energy?

1. What is the concept of absorbed photons?

The concept of absorbed photons refers to the process in which a photon of light is absorbed by a material or substance. This results in an increase in the energy of the material, causing it to heat up or undergo a chemical reaction.

2. How are absorbed photons different from emitted photons?

Absorbed photons are photons of light that are taken in by a material, while emitted photons are photons released by a material. Absorbed photons increase the energy of the material, while emitted photons release energy from the material.

3. What are some examples of materials that can absorb photons?

Materials that can absorb photons include metals, semiconductors, and organic compounds. For example, solar panels made of silicon absorb photons to generate electricity.

4. Can photons be absorbed and emitted by the same material?

Yes, a material can both absorb and emit photons. This is known as the process of absorption and emission, and it is commonly seen in fluorescent and phosphorescent materials.

5. How does the absorption and emission of photons affect the color of a material?

The absorption and emission of photons can affect the color of a material. When a material absorbs certain wavelengths of light and emits others, the color of the material will appear different to our eyes. This is why different materials have different colors.