Solving Biot-Savart Law for a Ring of Charge

In summary, the magnetic field along the X axis of a ring of charge is equal to the sum of the fields due to the positive and negative charges on the ring.
Maxwellkid
This is a simple problem if you work with only magnitude and consider the symmetry of a ring. However, I am taking a detailed approach, and I am not getting the correct answer. Could you please look over my math?

a evenly distributed ring of charge on the positive Y-Z plane has a current, I, flowing counterclockwise or flowing from positive Z direction on top and -Z direction on bottom of ring. Figure out the magnetic field along the X axis of this ring of charge from the center of the ring.

[tex] d \vec{B} = \frac {\mu_{o} I}{4\pi} \frac {d\vec{l} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

below are pictures of the ring of charge. left picture is the sideway view with theta being constant. right picture is the frontal view with phi.

[tex] d\vec{l} = <0 , dl cos\phi , dl sin\phi>[/tex]
[tex] \hat{r} = <cos\theta , -w/r sin\phi , w/r cos\phi> [/tex]

[tex]{d\vec{l} \times \hat{r} = \frac{w}{r} cos^2\phi dl \cdot \hat{i} + \frac{w}{r} sin^2\phi dl \cdot \hat{i} + cos\theta sin\phi dl \cdot \hat{j} - cos\theta cos\phi dl \cdot \hat{k} [/tex]

[tex]\frac {d\vec{l} \times \hat{r}}{r^2} =\frac{w}{r^3} 1 dl \cdot \hat{i} +\frac{1}{r^2} cos\theta sin\phi dl \cdot \hat{j} - \frac{1}{r^2} cos\theta cos\phi dl \cdot \hat{k}[/tex]

[tex] dl = w d\phi [/tex]

[tex]\frac {d\vec{l} \times \hat{r}}{r^2} = \frac{w^2}{r^3} 1 d\phi \cdot \hat{i} +\frac{w}{r^2} cos\theta sin\phi d\phi \cdot \hat{j} - \frac{w}{r^2} cos\theta cos\phi d\phi \cdot \hat{k}[/tex]

ARE ALL MY STEPS CORRECT SO FAR?

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maxwellkid said:
a evenly distributed ring of charge on the positive Z plane has a current, I, flowing counterclockwise or flowing from positive Z direction on top and -Z direction on bottom of ring. Figure out the magnetic field along the X axis of this ring of charge from the center of the ring.

This problem description is not at all clear to me. For starters, what is 'the [itex]z[/itex] plane'? There is such a thing as a [itex]z[/itex] axis, but not a [itex]z[/itex] plane. Do you mean the plane defined by the equation [itex]z=0[/itex] (AKA the x-y plane)? Or do you mean the y-z plane (x=0) as your pictures would leave me to believe? Or perhaps you mean something else entirely?

Also, the 'top' and 'bottom' of the ring are not well defined. Which direction is up, and which direction is down?

I also see the variable [itex]w[/itex] in your calculations, but no explanation as to what it represents.

gabbagabbahey said:
This problem description is not at all clear to me. For starters, what is 'the [itex]z[/itex] plane'? There is such a thing as a [itex]z[/itex] axis, but not a [itex]z[/itex] plane. Do you mean the plane defined by the equation [itex]z=0[/itex] (AKA the x-y plane)? Or do you mean the y-z plane (x=0) as your pictures would leave me to believe? Or perhaps you mean something else entirely?

Also, the 'top' and 'bottom' of the ring are not well defined. Which direction is up, and which direction is down?

I also see the variable [itex]w[/itex] in your calculations, but no explanation as to what it represents.

z plane refers to the z-y plane. w is the radius of the ring of charge. positive z direction current on top of ring and negative z direction current on bottom of ring (counterclockwise current flow)

Maxwellkid said:
z plane refers to the z-y plane. w is the radius of the ring of charge. positive z direction current on top of ring and negative z direction current on bottom of ring (counterclockwise current flow)

Okay, and by 'top' you mean the point (0,w,0)?

Maxwellkid said:
[tex] d\vec{l} = <-dl sin\phi , dl cos \phi , 0>[/tex]

[itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] is an infinitesimal piece of the ring, right? If the ring is entirely in the y-z plane, why does your expression have a non-zero x-coordinate?

[tex] \hat{r} = <cos\theta , -w/r sin\phi , w/r cos\phi> [/tex]

Are you sure about the sign of the z-coordinate?

Also, I'm not sure why you would bother introducing a new variable [itex]\theta[/itex] here...why not just work with the variables given ion the problem statement [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]w[/itex]?

[tex]\vec{r}=<x,-w\sin\phi,-w\cos\phi>[/tex]

[tex]\implies r=\sqrt{x^2+w^2}[/tex]

[tex]\implies\hat{r}=<\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+w^2}},\frac{-w\sin\phi}{\sqrt{x^2+w^2}},\frac{-w\cos\phi}{\sqrt{x^2+w^2}}>[/tex]

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
Okay, and by 'top' you mean the point (0,w,0)?

[itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] is an infinitesimal piece of the ring, right? If the ring is entirely in the y-z plane, why does your expression have a non-zero x-coordinate?
i think you're right
gabbagabbahey said:
This doesn't look like a unit vector to me, its magnitude does not equal 1.

To properly find [itex]\hat{r}[/itex], Start by finding an expression for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], and then divide by its magnitude.
it is a unit vector. try taking the absolute value of it...it comes out to 1

i've made the dl correction in the original post. THANKS. however, the math still comes out to be a bit off...i'm off by a half.

Maxwellkid said:
it is a unit vector. try taking the absolute value of it...it comes out to 1

Yes, I realized after I posted that [itex]\cos^2\theta+\frac{w^2}{r^2}=1[/itex] from looking at your picture.

okay...it's been corrected...i'll check back in a couple of hours...need to be away from computer

Last edited:
Hmmm... looking at your picture it seems that you have defined [itex]\phi[/itex] such that [itex]z=w\cos\phi[/itex], but looking at you calculations it seems as though you are using [itex]z=-w\cos\phi[/itex]...which is it?

i got it...came out correctly...

thank you!

What is the Biot-Savart Law and how does it relate to a ring of charge?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current. In the case of a ring of charge, the law can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space surrounding the ring.

What are the variables in the Biot-Savart Law for a ring of charge?

The variables in the Biot-Savart Law for a ring of charge include the current flowing through the ring, the radius of the ring, the distance from the ring to the point of interest, and the angle between the line connecting the point and the center of the ring and the direction of the current.

What is the formula for solving the Biot-Savart Law for a ring of charge?

The formula for solving the Biot-Savart Law for a ring of charge is B = (μ₀I/4π) * (sinθ / r²), where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, θ is the angle between the line connecting the point and the center of the ring and the direction of the current, and r is the distance from the ring to the point of interest.

How do you use the Biot-Savart Law to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point around the ring?

To calculate the magnetic field at a specific point around the ring, you need to know the values of the variables in the Biot-Savart Law, including the current, the radius of the ring, the distance from the ring to the point of interest, and the angle between the line connecting the point and the center of the ring and the direction of the current. You can then plug these values into the formula and calculate the magnetic field at that point.

What are some applications of the Biot-Savart Law for a ring of charge?

The Biot-Savart Law for a ring of charge has many practical applications, including in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, electromagnets, and motors. It is also used in the study of magnetic fields and their effects on charged particles, such as in particle accelerators. Additionally, the law is used in geophysics for mapping the Earth's magnetic field and in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).