Senior Engineering Student Seeking Ideas for Post-Graduation

In summary, the speaker is a senior majoring in engineering physics with a minor in mechanical engineering and mathematical science. They are unsure of their career path after graduation and have experience in programming and a strong work ethic. They are open to ideas and emphasize the importance of never giving up and continuously learning and taking care of one's health. They also mention how their career path has strayed from their degree and advise others to take opportunities as they come, even if it may not be their ideal job.
Winzer
I will be going into my senior year of my engineering physics major with a minor in mechanical engineering and mathematical science. I have made posts in Nuclear Engineering, and Clerk[patent] jobs, etc. because I have no idea what I want to do after I graduate.

I'll have to admit, money is a large factor. Otherwise I would go into theoretical physics.
Some Things I am good at:
Programming: I have some experience with mathematica, python, vtk, and mayavi.
I would like to think I have an exceptional work ethic.
Working in groups.
Leadership roles.

I was wondering if anyone could just pitch some ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not give up. Never give up. Solve difficult problems in life and at work with joy. Learn all the time, practice a lot. Take care of your health - it is a consumable thing. Enjoy everithing!

I agree with Bob. Tenacity is a life/career skill!

When I enrolled in a Ph.D. program, the advice I got was that it was not "job training." We would learn skills that could be useful in any career, and it would be a wonderful bonus to get to work in the field of our choosing, but overall, we should approach it as a learning experience that would help us regardless of our career path. And, indeed my career path has strayed considerably from my degree, only getting better with each fork I've taken in the road.

Sometimes you have to just take the job that's available, especially in today's economy. After you have a paying job, you can then work on finding better ones that are more interesting to you. If an opportunity that sounds interesting presents itself, take it.

1. What are some options for post-graduation plans as an engineering student?

As an engineering student, some common options for post-graduation plans include pursuing a master's degree, finding a job in the industry, or participating in a post-graduate research program.

2. How can I find potential job opportunities as a senior engineering student?

There are several ways to find potential job opportunities as a senior engineering student. You can attend career fairs, reach out to your university's career services, network with professionals in your field, and regularly check job search websites.

3. Are there any specific industries or companies that are best for engineering graduates?

The answer to this question depends on your specific field of engineering and personal interests. Some popular industries for engineering graduates include aerospace, automotive, biotechnology, energy, and technology.

4. Should I consider pursuing further education after graduation?

Pursuing a master's degree or other advanced education can be beneficial for engineering students, as it can lead to higher-paying job opportunities and specialized knowledge in your field. However, it is not necessary for all engineering career paths.

5. How can I come up with ideas for a post-graduation project or research?

To come up with ideas for a post-graduation project or research, you can start by identifying your interests and strengths within your field of engineering. You can also consult with professors, industry professionals, and fellow students for potential project ideas. Additionally, researching current industry trends and challenges can also inspire project ideas.