Finding the initial velocity of a projectile so that it hits a moving object

In summary, we have a projectile launched at an angle of 72 degrees towards a moving object that is 92m away and moving towards it at a speed of 6m/s. To hit the object, the projectile's velocity must be such that it covers 92m in the same time it takes for the projectile to reach its original height. Using equations for distance, velocity, and time, we can set up equations for the projectile's horizontal and vertical movements and solve for the required velocity.
bermy_son92

Homework Statement

Object is 92m away from the projectile's launch position and is moving towards the launch position at 6m/s.
The projectile is launched at an angle of 72 degrees towards the moving object.
What must the projectile's velocity be if it is to hit the object moving towards it.
(Both the projectile and object start moving at the same time.)
acceleration = gravity = -9.8m/s

Homework Equations

distance=velocity/time
distance=velocity*time+0.5*acceleration*time^2
velocity2 - velocity1 = 2*acceleration*distance
velocity2 = velocity1 * acceleration * time

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a few attempts however none of my ideas worked

Physics news on Phys.org
Why were the 5 or so subsequent messages posted here deleted?

Phrak said:
Why were the 5 or so subsequent messages posted here deleted?

I uh... don't know. I'm new here. Don't know who could do that.

BlueFalcon said:
I uh... don't know. I'm new here. Don't know who could do that.

I consider glitches, means, motive, and opportunity.

Until we get the posts back...

bermy_son92 said:

Homework Equations

distance=velocity/time
distance=velocity*time+0.5*acceleration*time^2
velocity2 - velocity1 = 2*acceleration*distance
velocity2 = velocity1 * acceleration * time
Note that your last two equations are wrong. The second-last one should be v2^2-v1^2=2ad, not v2-v1=2ad. The last one should be v2=v1+at, not v2=v1*a*t.

To solve this problem, write separate equations for the projectile's horizontal and vertical movements. In the y direction, the projectile leaves at speed=vsin72 and returns to its original height upon hitting the target. Suppose this takes time t. In the x direction, the projectile's relative speed to the target must be enough to cover 92 m in time t. Can you now write out two equations for the projectile's motion?

What is the formula for finding the initial velocity of a projectile?

The formula for finding the initial velocity of a projectile to hit a moving object is: v0 = (sx - dx) / (tx - t0), where sx is the horizontal distance between the projectile and the moving object, dx is the initial distance between the two objects, tx is the time it takes for the projectile to reach the object, and t0 is the time when the projectile was launched.

What are the key factors that affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

The key factors that affect the initial velocity of a projectile are the distance between the projectile and the moving object, the initial distance between the two objects, the time it takes for the projectile to reach the object, and the time when the projectile was launched. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the initial velocity.

How does the angle of launch affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

The angle of launch affects the initial velocity of a projectile in two ways. First, the angle can change the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity, which will ultimately affect the overall velocity. Second, a higher angle of launch will result in a longer flight time, allowing the projectile to travel a greater distance and potentially reach the moving object.

Can the initial velocity of a projectile be calculated if the moving object has already started moving?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can still be calculated if the moving object has already started moving. The formula for finding the initial velocity takes into account the horizontal distance between the two objects and the time it takes for the projectile to reach the moving object, regardless of whether the object is stationary or in motion.

What are some potential sources of error when calculating the initial velocity of a projectile?

Some potential sources of error when calculating the initial velocity of a projectile include human error in measuring distances and timing, inaccurate assumptions about external factors such as air resistance, and variations in the speed of the moving object. It is important to take multiple measurements and consider all possible factors to minimize error in the calculation.