Refraction and fiber optic cable diameter

In summary, the thickness of a fiber optic cable is not restricted by physical reasons. Dispersing light through a fiber optic cable can impair the transmission of high-bandwidth optical signals. Thanks for reading.
NPacific
Hello there,
I'm wondering if there is any restricting reason why fiber optic cables are not made thicker. Regardless of the practical applications, is there any reason you can't make a fiber optic cable that is only 2m long but 2cm thick (compared to the normal 0.0125 cm thick)?
Does width of the high index core make a difference, and does the width of the low index coating make a difference in regard to total internal reflection?

To sum it up, is there any physical reason why fiber optic cables can't be made thicker?

Thanks for reading,
JJ

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
NPacific said:
Hello there,
I'm wondering if there is any restricting reason why fiber optic cables are not made thicker. Regardless of the practical applications, is there any reason you can't make a fiber optic cable that is only 2m long but 2cm thick (compared to the normal 0.0125 cm thick)?
Does width of the high index core make a difference, and does the width of the low index coating make a difference in regard to total internal reflection?

To sum it up, is there any physical reason why fiber optic cables can't be made thicker?

Thanks for reading,
JJ

ps. I'm wondering if you have to take into account the wave particle duality of light when working with fiber optics or is it mostly particle behavior?

Welcome to the PF. Are you aware of the differences between single-mode and multi-mode fiberoptics?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_optics

And are you aware of the concept of "dispersion", where the path lengths for multi-mode fibers (especially as wide as you are asking about) indroduce different delays for different ray traces? What effect would dispersion have on high-bandwidth optical signals?

Thanks for answering and good points berkeman,
I am not particularly concerned with transmitting data or signals, and so I believe that dispersion wouldn't play a bad role as long as the light was a guided ray the whole time. You could say that I want to be able to use the fiber optic cable like a snake light, where you could put light in one end of the cable and receive light out of the other end, like an extension cord for a flash light. I believe the thickness would require multi-mode, it would allow more light sources can be used.

Light pipes are different than fibers. Fibers are (usually) significantly longer- many kilometers- for one thing.

If you want a thicker fiber optic, just bundle up a bunch of smaller ones.

Integral said:
If you want a thicker fiber optic, just bundle up a bunch of smaller ones.
That could possibly work. A light pipe (Thank you Andy Resnick) is what I believe the term is what I am looking for.

Last edited:
It depends on the application- do you need it to be flexible? Are you trying to image?

Liquid light guides have diameters up to 8 mm. I've seen rigid light guides with diameters over 2 inches, but I don't recall who made them.

I'm not trying to image, just pass light from a flashlight into one end and out the other to be used for light to see. Rigid works, flexible is better. Light guides are the closest I've seen so far. I can adapt from the light guide concept and go from there.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Andy.

This is what I was looking for.
http://www.lumatec.de/e_superlite/e_superlite.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This is caused by the change in speed of light as it moves from one medium to another.

2. How does refraction relate to fiber optic cables?

Fiber optic cables use the principle of refraction to transmit signals. The core of the cable is made of a material with a high refractive index, which causes light to bounce off the walls of the cable and travel through it without escaping.

3. How does fiber optic cable diameter affect refraction?

The diameter of a fiber optic cable determines the angle at which light enters the cable. A smaller diameter means a larger angle of incidence, which can lead to more loss of signal due to refraction. Therefore, a larger diameter is generally preferred for better signal transmission.

4. Are there any limitations to the diameter of fiber optic cables?

Yes, there are limitations to the diameter of fiber optic cables. The larger the diameter, the more difficult it is to handle and install the cable. Additionally, a larger diameter may cause more scattering of light and lead to signal loss.

5. How is refraction managed in fiber optic cables?

Refraction is managed in fiber optic cables through the use of cladding, which is a layer of material with a lower refractive index surrounding the core. This helps to keep the light within the core and reduce signal loss due to refraction.