Smaller and larger resistance in circuit

In summary, the equivalent resistance for resistors 1 and 2 is 14.7 Ω when connected in series and 2.56 Ω when connected in parallel. To find the smaller and larger resistances, you can use the equations R1+R2=14.7 and 1/R1+1/R2=1/2.56 and substitute for either R1 or R2. This will result in a quadratic equation, which can be solved to find the values for R1 and R2.
nothingatall

Homework Statement

When resistors 1 and 2 are connected in series, the equivalent resistance is 14.7 Ω. When they are connected in parallel, the equivalent resistance is 2.56 Ω. What are (a) the smaller resistance and (b) the larger resistance of these two resistors?

Homework Equations

1/Req=1/R1+1/R2 parallel
R1+R2+Req series

The Attempt at a Solution

My t.a. said that there would be a substitution and then end up with a quadratic equation. So far i have: R1+R2=14.7ohm
1/R1+1/R2=1/2.56ohm
R1(R2)=2.56(R1+R2) => R1(R2)=37.632ohm
2.56R1+2.56R2-37.632=0 <= my incorrect quadratic which i don't know how to correct.

How can i develop a quadratic from my info? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello nothingatall,

nothingatall said:

The Attempt at a Solution

My t.a. said that there would be a substitution and then end up with a quadratic equation. So far i have: R1+R2=14.7ohm
1/R1+1/R2=1/2.56ohm
R1(R2)=2.56(R1+R2) => R1(R2)=37.632ohm

Okay, I follow you up to here. So far things seem okay. But you've missed one of the substitutions. what you'd like to do is get an equation that is completely in terms of either R1 or R2. (See more below.)

2.56R1+2.56R2-37.632=0 <= my incorrect quadratic which i don't know how to correct.

Nothing particularly bad, but you're failing to make a substitution. You know that

R1+R2 = 14.7 Ohm.

That means you also know that

R2 = 14.7 Ohm - R1.

Using that knowledge, now go back to on of your earlier equations (involving the equivalent parallel resistance) and try to put everything in terms of R1. Then solve for R1. Once you've found R1, you can use the above equation to get R2.

1. What is resistance in a circuit?

Resistance is the measure of how much an object or material impedes the flow of electrical current. In a circuit, resistance is typically caused by materials such as wires, resistors, and other components.

2. How does resistance affect the flow of current in a circuit?

The larger the resistance in a circuit, the more difficult it is for current to flow. This means that a larger resistance will result in a smaller amount of current flowing through the circuit. On the other hand, a smaller resistance will allow for a larger amount of current to flow.

3. What is the relationship between resistance and voltage in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, resistance and voltage have a direct relationship. This means that as resistance increases, voltage will also increase, and vice versa. This relationship can be expressed by the equation V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

4. How are smaller and larger resistance values achieved in a circuit?

Smaller resistance values can be achieved by using materials with low resistance, such as copper or silver. Larger resistance values can be achieved by using materials with high resistance, such as nichrome. Additionally, resistors can be added to a circuit to control the overall resistance.

5. How is resistance measured in a circuit?

Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω) and can be measured using a multimeter. The multimeter is connected to the circuit and measures the voltage and current, which can then be used to calculate the resistance using Ohm's Law.