Expert Astrophotography Tips & Discussions | Share Your Photos!

In summary, this thread is for those who are interested in astrophotography. It provides a forum for members to share their expert knowledge with other PF members. It also provides a space for members to share pictures of their astrophotography.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Looking for advice?
Willing to share your expertise with other PF members?
Brave enough to share & discuss your own astrophotos?
Then this is the thread for you.
Enjoy!

In all our cosmological discussions, let's not forget to actually go stargazing once in a while! :biggrin:

Thanks to member check for this suggestion!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I figure I'd post this. It's a mosaic I made of the moon one night. Took a bunch of photos (I thought I had covered the whole moon, but as you can see I missed some spots).
In this mosaic the moon is about 80cm across. There’s a 15 cm ruler next to it for a sense of scale. Not huge, but it goes to show you one of the many neat things that you can do if u have a printer, a telescope and a digital camera.

Attachments

• moonmo2.jpg
    moonmo2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,232
Here is a little picture of the Lagoon Nebula. I did the same thing with it as the Orion Nebula picture - imaged a 5x7 print with my Olympus, then unsharp-masked it in Photoshop to bring out fine detail in the nebulosity.

Last edited:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0409/catsEye_hst_c1.jpg

Rings in the Haloes of Planetary Nebulae
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0401056

One has to know, in what context the challenge is being made and answered. Those "rings" to me, look like tree rings? :smile:

http://web.mit.edu/8.03/www/walter-ring-sm.jpg

This is a picture of me, by me. Have you ever seen anything like it? Any idea of what causes the colored rings? If you do, send me a note and you may earn some extra course credit. If you want to find out, make sure not to miss my lecture on December 7! \\/\/////@lter Lewin

http://web.mit.edu/8.03/www/

If one is studingthe physics and approach of what is taking place inthe cosmos with such views to its quantum nature, it is hard not to be drawn to these beautiful events. It is even more difficult, to refrain from offering a explanation , if it is offered as a challenge. You just should known what context this is being offered, it was not offered for the general public. But someone did make it so.

So why would anyone not rise to occasion?

Last edited by a moderator:
sol2 said:
http://web.mit.edu/8.03/www/

If one is studingthe physics and approach of what is taking place inthe cosmos with such views to its quantum nature, it is hard not to be drawn to these beautiful events. It is even more difficult, to refrain from offering a explanation , if it is offered as a challenge. You just should known what context this is being offered, it was not offered for the general public. But someone did make it so.

So why would anyone not rise to occasion?
You have taken a very nice underexposed picture of your reflection (probably on a shiny icy surface) surrounded by an ice halo. Solar ice halos can be very beautiful in these higher latitudes, and even the fainter lunar halos can be stunning if your eyes are properly adapted to darkness. I don't need the extra credit (unless you could boost my 1972 grade in my initial-[and gut wrenching!] - philosophy course in Meta-ethics), but could you get me a discount on my prescription medications? You're not Canadian by any chance, eh?
:wink:

How about solar Art?

Is this just for astrophotography?

Twistedseer

Attachments

• 2 035SP-SP.JPG
    2 035SP-SP.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,147
Last edited:
Venus Transit June 8, 2004

Here is a picture that my girlfriend, Anne, and I took of the planet Venus as it made a rare transit across the face of the Sun on June 8, 2004.

The other photo is of me on the beach at Assateague Island in Virgina while shooting some video of the transit.

The telescope we used for this was a Meade ETX-70, and a hand-held Sony Cybershot digital camera.

Last edited:
Aether said:
Here is a picture that my girlfriend, Anne, and I took of the planet Venus as it made a rare transit across the face of the Sun on June 8, 2004.

The other photo is of me on the beach at Assateague Island in Virgina while shooting some video of the transit.

The telescope we used for this was a Meade ETX-70, and a hand-held Sony Cybershot digital camera.

Looks good! Much better than the pics of teh transit that I churned out. lol

check said:
Looks good! Much better than the pics of teh transit that I churned out. lol

Thanks check. I'm glad to hear that you got a chance to see it for yourself!

Here is a link to a page with the original photo which is about 3MB in size:

http://aetherodynamics.com/Transit_of_Venus06-08-2004.htm [Broken]​

Here is a really nice webcam image of the Jupiter/moon occultation. Makes me think I should try webcam photography.

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1403_1.asp

hey ...i never thought this board have this important threads!
hey man believe me!
i had a digi cam... how can i have some good astro pix?

guevara0001 said:
i had a digi cam... how can i have some good astro pix?
You mean a regular point and shoot digital camera? Dunno - I just bought a mount for my Nikon Coolpix 3100 and hopefully in the next few days I'll see what it can do through my scope. Since it doesn't have manual exposures, its probably only good for planets and the moon. If you have a digital SLR, you can take some outstanding high-res pics of galaxies and nebula. Do you have a telescope? Big lens? Binoculars?

russ_watters said:
Sorry I missed this before... What kind of camera/mount did you use for that? I recently bought a nice upper-mid level digital camera with 10x zoom and a big lens (like F2.8 even at 10x zoom) and up to 15s manual exposure. I'm hoping for some wide-field shots like that, but summer weather in PA means I haven't had a clear night in months...

I can’t afford such luxuries as Digital camera. :cry:

I used my Canon EOS 50E; It was loaded with a colour 200ISO film and a 28mm – 80mm telefocus lens set to 30mm and stopped at f4. The film was exposed was for 5 min.

The camera was piggybacked on my telescope, a basic Celestron 114EQshort on an equitorial mount.

The photo has been heavily shopped! I took out the colour first and then just played around with the levels until I got some thing that looked good.

I’m going to try the same shot (as soon as the weather clears) with an ISO 400 and attempt a 10 min exposure, as I’ve seen some pics recently on the net of the Summer triangle with some great colours in it.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Another issue, my scope got progressively sloppier over the summer as grease migrated from the gears to the clutches, to the point where no amount of tightening (short of breaking something) would keep the drives solidly locked.. I cleaned it up last night, and it feels a lot better. I can't imagine someone who is afraid of taking it apart being able to use it.
I was afraid that would happen after you posted the pictures of the guts. Those nested nylon gears are a grease-pump, designed to make that goo migrate everywhere except perhaps where it's needed most. I'm afraid that on really cold nights, the grease will firm up, and those little nylon gears on their skinny shafts will deflect and cause guiding errors as globs of the grease feed into tight places. It's good that you have the mechanical aptitude to tinker with that rascal. If the gearbox was properly isolated from all electrical parts, I would recommend cleaning out the grease with carb-cleaner (available at auto-parts stores) and lubricating with powdered graphite instead, so the nylon gears would last longer, but conductive lubricants are not an option when electronics are in the neighborhood. Maybe you could lubricate with a high-quality oil like Break-Free (available at all good gun shops). It's got good film strength and doesn't evaporate and leave gummy residues like some lubricating oils. Another good choice would be Royal Purple synthetic lubricant or perhaps even some Mobile 1 - that stuff stays fluid at 30 below and has better film-strength than any petroleum-based lubricant that I have tested.

By all means, join the Seattle Astronomical Society. They have a number of members who have volunteered to help people learn about aspects of astronomy:

http://www.seattleastro.org/resources.html

They also have a "library" of telescopes that can be "checked out" for up to a month at a time by members. Taking advantage of this service might help you figure out what kind of telescope might be right for you, and save you from making a potentially expensive mistake.

http://www.seattleastro.org/telescopelibrary.html [Broken]

What is the most affordable process to take digital pictures with a telescope and also get decent quality pictures? I was wanting a digital telescope for christmas but it is out of my price range.

Wow..cool stuff guys. I'm new to this. :) anyone want to give me some starter tips, maybe tell me what I should have to start? o_O

Well...do you have any equipment now? What is your experience level, pricerange, etc?

Last edited:
It was a terrible winter for astronomy here - warm and humid. We went weeks on end without clear skies when usually we go weeks with clear skies almost every night. I only got out two or three times.

Anyway, attached is a half-decent photo of the moon occulting the Pleaides on April 1. Taken with a regular 10x zoom digital camera on a tripod, 1s exposure. Maybe I'll try to brighten the tree branches - they frame the picture pretty nicely (image is cropped a little close to see much of it, though).

Sometime, I need to take a series to show the moon's motion through the backdrop of stars. Most people don't realize just how fast the moon moves - it passed entirely through the constellation/cluster in the 3 hours it was up. But it was Saturday night and I had things to do...

Attachments

• moon-pleaides-4-1-06.jpg
    moon-pleaides-4-1-06.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
I've been wanting to splurge on a CCD camera cooled by a OCZ Cryo-Z with a nice scope. I saw your site Russ. Do you have a site too Labguy? What is your handle over there, astroden?

Last edited:
I had a nice view of the clouds occulting the Moon occulting the Pleadies. I wanted to see this one. So, thanks Russ. That's as good as it gets for me.

Wow, that's a great pic - an impossible pic. It must be a composite with the night sky laid on top of a photo taken at dusk. They may have even had to shade the camera from the town lights to get the long exposure of the sky.

What one can do with a solar filter -

http://www.astrophoto.fr/iss_atlantis_transit.html [Broken] (talk about timing!)

and more -

http://www.astrophoto.fr/index.html [Broken]

Neat - most photos of satellites suffer due to poor lighting of the spacecraft - silouetting it ensures you get a good view of the shape.

Here is a picture of comet Hyatake that I took from my back yard in Tichigan Lake Wisconsin. I think it was taken with a 80mm and about 45 seconds. 35mm SLR AS400 Film if I remember corectly.
Hope you all enjoy it.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9688/comtc5.png [Broken]

Very nice pic.

March 3rd lunar eclipse

Attachments

• Picture 015a.jpg
    Picture 015a.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 490
Nice. It was hazy and I was out to dinner. Though I could see it through the clouds when I was finished, I didn't try to take any pictures of it.

russ_watters said:
New Saturn from last Friday attached. Only marginally better quality, but it is twice the magnification (Barlow lens). That's about the magnification limit (400x or so) and light gathering limit of my scope with my quickcam. Sky's could be better though (over Xmas, I'll drive up to the Poconos...). The image was dim enough its starting to look grainy. I'm working on a long-exposure mod for the quickcam. You can't see anything at all deep-sky with it at 1/5 second exposures.

HEY NEED HELP

i am and first timer in all this but i have purchased a konus 70 telescope it has a focal lengh of 900mm aperture of 70mm

can somebody tell me how i view planets with this what lenses do i use to give me a good view of the planet like saturn and Jupiter help please

Saturn is up right now, Jupiter is not (until early morning). Start with your largest eyepiece (I'd guess they gave you a 15mm or so), then put a barlow lens on it after you get the planet centered.

<h2>1. What is astrophotography?</h2><p>Astrophotography is the art and science of capturing images of objects in the night sky, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and nebulae. It involves using specialized equipment and techniques to capture long-exposure images of these celestial objects.</p><h2>2. What equipment do I need for astrophotography?</h2><p>To get started with astrophotography, you will need a camera with manual settings, a tripod, and a lens with a wide aperture. Additionally, you may want to invest in a telescope, a tracking mount, and various filters to enhance your images.</p><h2>3. How do I find dark sky locations for astrophotography?</h2><p>The best locations for astrophotography are areas with minimal light pollution, such as national parks, rural areas, and high elevations. You can also use light pollution maps to find dark sky locations near you.</p><h2>4. What are some tips for capturing clear and sharp astrophotography images?</h2><p>To capture clear and sharp astrophotography images, it is essential to use a sturdy tripod, a remote shutter release, and a low ISO setting. Additionally, taking multiple exposures and stacking them together can help reduce noise and improve image quality.</p><h2>5. How can I share my astrophotography images with others?</h2><p>You can share your astrophotography images on social media platforms, such as Instagram and Facebook, or on online forums and communities dedicated to astrophotography. You can also participate in astrophotography contests and exhibitions to showcase your work.</p>

1. What is astrophotography?

Astrophotography is the art and science of capturing images of objects in the night sky, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and nebulae. It involves using specialized equipment and techniques to capture long-exposure images of these celestial objects.

2. What equipment do I need for astrophotography?

To get started with astrophotography, you will need a camera with manual settings, a tripod, and a lens with a wide aperture. Additionally, you may want to invest in a telescope, a tracking mount, and various filters to enhance your images.

3. How do I find dark sky locations for astrophotography?

The best locations for astrophotography are areas with minimal light pollution, such as national parks, rural areas, and high elevations. You can also use light pollution maps to find dark sky locations near you.

4. What are some tips for capturing clear and sharp astrophotography images?

To capture clear and sharp astrophotography images, it is essential to use a sturdy tripod, a remote shutter release, and a low ISO setting. Additionally, taking multiple exposures and stacking them together can help reduce noise and improve image quality.

5. How can I share my astrophotography images with others?

You can share your astrophotography images on social media platforms, such as Instagram and Facebook, or on online forums and communities dedicated to astrophotography. You can also participate in astrophotography contests and exhibitions to showcase your work.