Electromagnetic induction for energy harvesting

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electromagnetic induction for energy harvesting and the difficulties in calculating the emf for a prototype device. Faraday's law and Maxwell's equations are mentioned as possible equations to use, and factors such as distance, velocity, and incident angle are identified as important considerations. The use of mathematical software and calculus is suggested to obtain a symbolic solution for the maximum emf value.
ddarvil
Hi there,
I'm currently working on a project that harnesses vertical motion via electromagnetic induction for the purpose of energy harvesting. I have built a prototype to confirm it's operation but haven't been able to figure out how to do the emf calculations. The device consists of a permanent magnet oscillating inside a plastic tube which has a copper winding (solenoid) on the outside. The winding consists of 1000 turns and the magnet is N42 neodymium.
After doing a reasonable search on the internet, I'm not sure how to procede. Can anyone help please?

I'm not looking for a solution but a concise idea of how I go about solving this problem. It seems I need to use faradays law (e = -N d_flux/d_t) which seems straight forward enough. emf direction is of no concern as the AC waveform is rectified. Is Faraday's law or Maxwell's equations easier for this type of problem?

The problem I'm having is representing the change in flux. Factors I assume are needed to be taken into account include:
  1. The distance between the magnet and the coil
  2. The velocity at which the magnet moves.
  3. The changing incident angle of flux due to the magnets location with respect to the coil.

Any help or advice on how to obtain a symbolic solution (so I can change variables within my constraints to get the "best" solution) would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

It's great to hear about your project and your progress so far. Electromagnetic induction is definitely a fascinating topic with a wide range of applications.

To calculate the emf in your device, you are correct in thinking that Faraday's law is the most suitable equation to use. This law states that the induced emf is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux. In your case, the magnetic flux is changing due to the motion of the permanent magnet inside the coil.

To solve for the emf, you will need to consider the factors you mentioned, such as the distance between the magnet and the coil, the velocity of the magnet, and the changing incident angle of the flux. You can also use Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

In terms of obtaining a symbolic solution, you can use mathematical software such as MATLAB or Mathematica to help you with the calculations. These programs allow you to input variables and constraints, and they will give you a solution based on those inputs. You can also use calculus to find the maximum emf value by taking the derivative of the emf equation with respect to the variables you are interested in.

I hope this helps you with your project. Good luck!

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating electricity by moving a conductor through a magnetic field. This creates a current in the conductor, which can be harnessed for various purposes, including energy harvesting.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work for energy harvesting?

In energy harvesting, electromagnetic induction involves using a magnetic field and a coil of wire to generate electricity. As the magnetic field moves relative to the coil, it creates a changing magnetic flux, which induces a current in the wire. This current can then be used to power devices or charge batteries.

3. What are some applications of electromagnetic induction for energy harvesting?

Electromagnetic induction for energy harvesting has various applications, such as in self-powered sensors, wireless charging of electronic devices, and renewable energy sources like wind turbines and hydroelectric generators.

4. What are the advantages of using electromagnetic induction for energy harvesting?

One major advantage of using electromagnetic induction for energy harvesting is that it is a renewable and sustainable source of power. It also eliminates the need for batteries or external power sources, making it a cost-effective and environmentally friendly option.

5. Are there any limitations to using electromagnetic induction for energy harvesting?

One limitation of electromagnetic induction for energy harvesting is that it is most effective when there is relative motion between the magnetic field and the coil. This means that it may not be suitable for all applications, such as in stationary devices. Additionally, the efficiency of energy harvesting through electromagnetic induction is dependent on various factors, including the strength of the magnetic field and the design of the coil.