Does 1D Line Have Physical Width? Exploring the Concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical width of a 1D line and the potential implications for a 2D object having infinitely many 1D lines. The concept of infinitely small widths in physics is also brought up, as well as the idea of a 2D object being infinitely long or large. The conversation concludes with confusion and a language barrier.
Tarantula
Hey!
I have some dumb-smart question
Does 1D line have physical width?
My logic says that mathematically you can go smaller and smaller,but I see there being a problem with 1D having infinitly small width in physics.

If 2D object has infinitly many 1D lines that would suggest that 2D object is also infinitly long/large - for it not to be infinitly long
-it has to have infinitly many smaller infinitys(but that seems to be also flawed)-I draw a circle and started to pull lines from center to edge to visulise it and it seemed to work,but I don't see it being a good answer.
-otherwise it's infinitly large number that is actually a number and isn't infinity atall.
English isn't my first language ,sorry :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hey Tarantula! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Tarantula said:
Does 1D line have physical width?

There is no width in 1D …

so a 1D line has length but no width.

(btw, you need to use the word "a" more often :wink:)

If 2D object has infinitly many 1D lines that would suggest that 2D object is also infinitly long/large - for it not to be infinitly long
-it has to have infinitly many smaller infinitys(but that seems to be also flawed)-I draw a circle and started to pull lines from center to edge to visulise it and it seemed to work,but I don't see it being a good answer.

Sorry, I don't understand. :redface:

1. What is a 1D line?

A 1D line is a mathematical concept that represents a straight line with no width or depth, only length. It is often used in geometry and physics to simplify calculations and explain concepts.

2. Does a 1D line exist in the physical world?

No, a 1D line does not exist in the physical world. It is a theoretical concept used to represent objects with only one dimension, such as a mathematical point or a line on a graph.

3. Why is it important to explore the concept of a 1D line?

Exploring the concept of a 1D line helps us understand more complex mathematical and physical concepts, such as higher dimensions and the behavior of objects in space. It also allows for simpler calculations and predictions in various scientific fields.

4. Can a 1D line have physical width?

No, by definition a 1D line has no physical width. It is a one-dimensional object that only exists in theory and does not occupy any physical space.

5. Are there any real-life examples of 1D lines?

There are no real-life examples of 1D lines, as they are purely theoretical concepts. However, we can use 1D lines to represent real-life objects with only one dimension, such as a wire or a string.