Understanding the Relationship between Gravity and Radial Acceleration

In summary, the radial acceleration of Earth at the equator is not the same as the acceleration due to gravity (g). The radial acceleration results from the force of gravity pulling objects towards the center of the planet, while the acceleration due to gravity is the sum of the forces of gravity and centripetal force. Using the equation a=v^2/r, the radial acceleration of Earth at the equator was calculated to be approximately 0.034 m/s^2, while the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. This means that at the equator, the ground is "giving way" at a rate of 0.34 m/s^2, resulting in a net radial acceleration of
UrbanXrisis
Is the radial acceleartion of Earth at the equator the same thing as g (9.8)?

I read that
"Radial acceleration results from the action of the force generated by the string that pulls the ball toward the center of the circle. In the case of a satellite in orbit, the force causing the radial acceleration is Earth’s gravity pulling the satellite toward the center of the planet."

Does that mean gravity is the radial acceleartion?

Also, would someone please take a look at:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=50614

Physics news on Phys.org
The semantics of the question confuse me a little but I'm leaning toward no. You have to consider that the acceleration you feel at the equator is the sum of two forces: centripetal (or lack thereof in this case) and that due to gravity. These two forces are opposed so the "centrifugal" force takes a little away from the force of gravity

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I still need to find the radial acceleration of the Earth at the equator

here's what I have so far:

the equation to find radial acceleartion is a=v^2/r

v=the velocity the Earth is traveling at, which I looked up was 1041mi/hr at the equator. This then converts to 17.35 mi/s and then 28 km/s.

Then for r, I looked up that the radius of the Earth is 6378km. Then...
a= [28km/s)^2]/6378km
a=0.1229 km/s^2
a=122.9 m/s^2

did I do this correct?

You may want to doublecheck your unit conversions. (1mph is about 0.447 m/s according to google)

hmmm..I got the same answers

a=v^2/r
a= [465m/s)^2]/6378m
a= 34 m/s^2

like this?

Recheck your conversion of the radius of the Earth into meters.

a=v^2/r
a= [465m/s)^2]/6378000m
a= .034 m/s^2

like this?

Looks good to me.

So if radial acceleration is greater than the acceleration of gravity, we would fly off the earth?

That sounds true to me but I'm not sure if I would have immediately thought like that. I know someone will probably correct my good (but wrong) intentions but the radial acceleration is just the sum of the radial forces. An object requires a 0.034m/s^2 radial acceleration to be stationary on the Earth according to your calculations above, and since g is 9.8m/s^2, only about 9.766m/s^2 is your radial acceleration experienced at the equator because the ground is "giving way" at 0.34 m/s^2, if you will. I hope I explained that right.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for holding planets, stars, and other objects in their orbits and causes objects to fall towards the ground.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time around massive objects. The larger the object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This pull is what causes objects to accelerate towards each other.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change in an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. In the case of gravity, acceleration is always directed towards the center of the Earth.

4. Is there a difference between gravity and acceleration?

Yes, gravity and acceleration are two separate concepts. Gravity is a force that causes objects to accelerate towards each other, while acceleration is the change in an object's velocity over time. However, in the case of gravity, the force of gravity and the acceleration caused by that force are directly related.

5. How does acceleration due to gravity change on different planets?

The acceleration due to gravity on different planets varies depending on the planet's mass and radius. The larger the planet, the stronger its gravitational pull and the greater the acceleration due to gravity. For example, on Earth, the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s², while on Mars it is only 3.7 m/s².