Concept Check for two Green Theorems Problems

In summary, the speaker is asking for confirmation on their solution to two problems that do not have solutions provided in the book. They provide their attempts at a solution and ask for clarification on the range of integration for the first problem. The conversation ends with the expert pointing out a correction for the first problem and confirming the speaker's solution for the second problem.
stratusfactio

Homework Statement

**The book I'm working from doesn't have solutions for even numbered problems and the two problems I'm about to show you guys are even, so if you guys don't mind, I would just like to know if I have the right concept, or if I messed up anywhere. I wouldn't have a way of knowing since there aren't answers for the two problems in the back of the book.**

For the following problems use Green’s Theorem to evaluate the given line integral around the
curve C, traversed counterclockwise.

1. Closed integral of C(e^(x^2)+ y^2) dx + (e^(y^2)+ x^2) dy; C is the boundary of the triangle with vertices (0,0),(4, 0) and (0, 4)

2. Evaluate closed integral of C (e^x sin y) dx + (y^3 + e^x cos y) dy, where C is the boundary of the rectangle with vertices (1, −1), (1, 1), (−1, 1) and (−1, −1), traversed counterclockwise.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[1] I got 0 for the answer. We see that P = e^(x^2)+ y^2 and Q = e^(y^2)+ x^2, so taking derivative of Q w/ respect to x we obtain 2x and taking derivative of P w/ respect to y we obtain 2y. Therefore we have the double integral w/ both integrands ranging from [0,4] of 2x - 2y.

[2] I got 0 for the answer here also. We see that P = e^x sin y and Q = y^3 + e^x cos y, so taking derivative of Q w/ respect to x we obtain e^x cos y and taking derivative of P w/ respect to y we obtain e^x cos y as well. Therefore we have the double integral w/ both integrands ranging from [-1,1] of e^x cos y - e^x cos y ( or 0 and therefore answer is 0).

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct but in the first problem your int dx should run from 0 to 4-y. It came out the same this time, however.

Ahhh, I see. Is that because the diagonal of the triangle is the line 4-y?

What are the two Green's Theorems?

Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. There are two versions of Green's Theorem: the first version applies to a region with a smooth boundary, while the second version applies to a region with a piecewise smooth boundary.

What are the applications of Green's Theorems?

Green's Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in the study of potential theory and in the solution of partial differential equations.

What are the key differences between the two versions of Green's Theorem?

The main difference between the two versions of Green's Theorem is the type of region they apply to. The first version applies to a region with a smooth boundary, while the second version applies to a region with a piecewise smooth boundary. Additionally, the second version includes an extra term that takes into account any discontinuities in the vector field along the boundary.

How do I know which version of Green's Theorem to use?

The version of Green's Theorem to use depends on the type of region you are working with. If the region has a smooth boundary, then the first version should be used. If the region has a piecewise smooth boundary, then the second version should be used. It is important to carefully examine the region and the vector field before applying Green's Theorem to ensure that the correct version is used.

What are some common mistakes when applying Green's Theorem?

Some common mistakes when applying Green's Theorem include not identifying the correct version to use, not carefully examining the region and the vector field, and not correctly setting up the double integrals. It is important to pay attention to the details and to carefully follow the steps of the theorem to avoid these mistakes.