Highland Games Hay Toss: Solving for Time and Direction in 2D Kinematics

• Thread starter matt@USA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the conversation is about solving two problems related to the movement of a bale of hay thrown over a raised bar in a highland games event. The first problem involves finding the minimum time required for the bale to reach a speed of 7 m/s, using a quadratic equation. The second problem is finding the time at which the bale is moving at a 45 degree angle below the horizontal, which can be solved by considering the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity. The conversation also includes some confusion and calculations, but the solution is eventually found.
matt@USA
2D Kinematic Equation! Need Help! I have a test tomorrow!

Homework Statement

One of the most popular events at highland games is the hay toss, where competitors use a pitchfork to throw a bale of hay over a raised bar. Suppose the initial velocity of a bale of hay is varrowbold = (1.32 m/s)xhatbold + (8.85 m/s)yhatbold.
(a) After what minimum time is its speed equal to 7 m/s?

(b) How long after the hay is tossed is it moving in a direction that is 45.0° below the horizontal?

Homework Equations

I figured out the answer to part A using the quadriatic equation by saying that ...
t=2Vnotyg+-sqrt of (-2Vnotyg)^2 - 4(g^2)(Vnotx^2+Vnoty^2-V^2)/2(g^2).
I came up with the right answer of .201s.

I am stuck with part B. I don't know if I am overanalizing it or what. Someone please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

matt@USA said:

Homework Statement

One of the most popular events at highland games is the hay toss, where competitors use a pitchfork to throw a bale of hay over a raised bar. Suppose the initial velocity of a bale of hay is varrowbold = (1.32 m/s)xhatbold + (8.85 m/s)yhatbold.
(a) After what minimum time is its speed equal to 7 m/s?

(b) How long after the hay is tossed is it moving in a direction that is 45.0° below the horizontal?

Homework Equations

I figured out the answer to part A using the quadriatic equation by saying that ...
t=2Vnotyg+-sqrt of (-2Vnotyg)^2 - 4(g^2)(Vnotx^2+Vnoty^2-V^2)/2(g^2).
I came up with the right answer of .201s.

I am stuck with part B. I don't know if I am overanalizing it or what. Someone please help!

When it is moving at 45 degrees, the verticla (y) and horizontal (x) component are the same size.
At 45 degrees down means the y-component is 1.32 down.

So I would say 1.32sin45, which would equal what? I am confused ... My mind is scrambled right now.

matt@USA said:
So I would say 1.32sin45, which would equal what? I am confused ... My mind is scrambled right now.

The original velocities given didn't have a sin45 component, so why did you put one in.

Hint: at what time will the hay bale have a vertical component of 5 m/s down? If you can work that out, you can solve part (b) in a similar way

So I would use the Vy=Voy+Ayt right? And since Voy=0, the equation would be t=Vy/Ay?

Nm, I got it! It was t=x+y/g! I am over analizing this stuff way too much!

What is the Highland Games hay bale toss?

The Highland Games hay bale toss is a traditional Scottish sport in which athletes compete by throwing a hay bale over a horizontal bar.

How is the hay bale toss scored?

The hay bale toss is scored by the height at which the bale clears the bar. Each athlete gets three attempts at each height and the highest successful toss is recorded as their score.

What are the rules of the hay bale toss?

The rules of the hay bale toss vary slightly depending on the specific event, but generally, athletes must not step over the line before releasing the bale and the bale must be thrown with one hand using an underhand motion.

What are the benefits of participating in the hay bale toss?

The hay bale toss not only offers physical benefits such as improving strength and coordination, but it also promotes camaraderie and cultural appreciation for traditional Scottish sports. It is also a great way to showcase strength and skill in a fun and competitive environment.

What is the history of the hay bale toss?

The hay bale toss has its roots in the agricultural traditions of Scotland, where farmers would toss hay bales onto carts or into storage areas. It eventually evolved into a competitive sport at Highland Games gatherings, where it continues to be a popular event today.