Simpler Anthropic Principle: the Computeric Principle

In summary, the article argues that the spatial and temporal dimensions (N=3, T=1) are special, since without them no life as we know it could ever exist. It is not clear to me however if a computer (or better an (in)finite Universal Turing Machine) could ever exist at dimension different than (3, 1). Is it the case? Andrea would like to read other's thoughts on this.
AlpT
I just read the Spacetime article on wikipedia which argues that the spatial and temporal dimensions (N=3, T=1) are special, since without them no life as we know it could ever exist.
It is not clear to me however if a computer (or better an (in)finite Universal Turing Machine) could ever exist at dimension different than (3, 1).
Is it the case?

Also, I prefer to use a Computeric Principle rather than an anthropic one, given that defining "life" is rather difficult, and yet more defining "intelligent life". Will using a Computeric Principle present problems or would it be just better?

I am looking forward to read your thoughts.

Andrea.

Physics news on Phys.org
AlpT said:
I just read the Spacetime article on wikipedia which argues that the spatial and temporal dimensions (N=3, T=1) are special, since without them no life as we know it could ever exist.

This seems kind of tautological. They list all sorts of reasons why, if our universe had <>3 spatial dimensions, it would be very different from our own.

Duh.

Last edited:
AlpT said:
...since without them no life as we know it could ever exist.

I actually have a design for how life can work in only 2 dimensions. :biggrin:
pic_2dvalve.gif

Here's my thought.
Should it not be degrees of freedom rather than dimensions.
Spacially we can move up-down, left-right, forward-backward. Temporally, we have only one direction - forward. And, also there is the spinning about an axis, which adds another 3 degrees of freedom.

A few points:

1. The anthropic principle is, of course, essentially tautologous. However it does help to draw attention to the apparent fine-tuning and observed directionality of the life process and to try to find explanations for these very pervasive and persistent patterns.

2. The two dimensional model is amusing. However, we must remember that there is no empirical evidence for two dimensional entities in the physical (real) world. All our representations being approximations. (No problem within mathematics, though, where any number of dimensions are allowable)

3. Yes, a computerthropic principle is equally valid, although subject to the same limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
PeterKinnon said:
A few points:

3. Yes, a computerthropic principle is equally valid, although subject to the same limitations.

You read me wrong. What I am saying with the Computerthropic principle is a precise mathematical statement (right now just a conjecture):

Consider the laws of physics L, parametrized by space and time dimensions and other parameters such as mass,charge,spin of elementary particles, etc...: L(SpaceDims,TimeDims,electron-mass,Gconstant,...).
In L(3,1,m_e,G,..) we clearly are observing and it is actually possible to prove that implementations of (in)finite Universal Turing Machines are possible.

Question/Conjecture: for any (S,T,E,G,...) != (3,1,m_e,G,...), then in the universe L(S,T,E,G,...) it is not possible to implement an UTM.
Expressing the above question in another form:
Code:
     let P(S,T,E,G,...) be the sentence: 
         P(S,T,E,G,...) = "In L(S,T,E,G,...) it is possible to "implement" an UTM."
     then, (3,1,m_e,G,...) is the unique solution to the equation
         P(S,T,E,G,...) = True
(I should define "implement", but for now, let me just skip this)

Now, I am not saying that in any "universe" of (N,T) dimensions it is not possible to implement an UTM. For example, 2d Cellular Automatons are Turing-complete, thus, they admit such a thing. What I am interested in is not just "any universe", it is "our universe", as defined by the current laws of physics (Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, Standard Model of elementary particles, etc...).

The above "Computerthropic principle" isn't affected by tautologic reasoning: axioms are "Laws of Physics L", question is "for what parameters I can actually build a computer inside a universe with laws L?"

PeterKinnon said:
It also ties in with the main sequence of the evolutionary model I advance (very informally) in "The Goldilocks Effect: What Has Serendipity Ever Done For Us?" (free download in e-book formats from the "Unusual Perspectives" website)

Thanks for the reference, I skimmed through it (just to page 8 right now) and I find myself in line with your main ideas. I also believe that the birth of a singularity could be a very good thing for human beings. My favorite analogy is: we would become like domestic animals in a beautiful giant garden, we would be treated and spoiled to death (and perhaps we'll never be able to notice it).

Last edited:
However, while your basic conjecture/question is interesting and seems sound, it seems to me that as soon as you tie it to "our" universe with its observed dimensions and parameters and for which implementation of an UTM is known to be possible then tautology arises? Perhaps I am still missing something here? I will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
PeterKinnon said:
It seems to me that as soon as you tie it to "our" universe with its observed dimensions and parameters and for which implementation of an UTM is known to be possible then tautology arises? Perhaps I am still missing something here? I will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Unfortunately I am not "others", but here it is my answer: your observation just implies that in L(3,1,...) such a thing is possible, i.e. you can build an UTM in it. That's it. Nothing more. Perhaps in L(51,2,...) it is not possible, perhaps it is.

Perhaps the following remark is due: when I say "your observation just implies..", I mean "IF our universe really is described by the set of laws in L, and has parameters (3,1,...), THEN your observation just implies.."
However, apart from the above IF, the mathematical question "is L(N,T,a,b,c,..) able to contain an UTM?" is well founded.

Last edited:

What is the Simpler Anthropic Principle?

The Simpler Anthropic Principle, also known as the Computeric Principle, is a scientific concept that suggests that the universe is designed in a way that allows for the existence of intelligent life. It proposes that the laws of physics and the conditions of the universe are optimized for the emergence and development of life.

How does the Simpler Anthropic Principle relate to the Computeric Principle?

The Simpler Anthropic Principle and the Computeric Principle are essentially the same concept, but they are often used interchangeably. The idea behind both principles is that the universe is designed to allow for the existence of intelligent life, and this design can be explained through a computer-like framework.

What evidence supports the Simpler Anthropic Principle?

One of the strongest pieces of evidence for the Simpler Anthropic Principle is the fact that the fundamental constants of the universe, such as the speed of light and the strength of gravity, are finely tuned to allow for the emergence of life. If these constants were even slightly different, the universe would not be able to support life as we know it.

How does the Simpler Anthropic Principle differ from the Strong Anthropic Principle?

The Strong Anthropic Principle takes the Simpler Anthropic Principle a step further and suggests that the universe was intentionally designed for the purpose of creating intelligent life. This is a more philosophical interpretation, while the Simpler Anthropic Principle is based on scientific observations and explanations.

What are the potential implications of the Simpler Anthropic Principle?

The Simpler Anthropic Principle has sparked debates and discussions about the nature and purpose of the universe. It also raises questions about the role of humanity in the grand scheme of the universe and whether or not there is a greater intelligence behind the design of the universe.