Resistance heater for hockey blade

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a heater to remove the blade of a hockey stick by heating up the glue. The proposed design involves a U-shaped metal piece with ohmic wire on the back to act as a heat sink. The speakers are seeking advice on the appropriate size and type of resistance wire and metal to use for the project. A suggestion is made for a drawing to better understand the design. The proposed design includes a 1.5" x 1.5" x 4" U-shaped metal channel with exposed resistance wires that will touch the hockey stick. The metal is necessary to safely transfer the heat without melting the plastic tool. An option of using slots and a fan to blow hot air onto the wires and
amschrad7
I am working on designing a heater to heat up the glue on a hockey stick to remove the blade. Typically this is done using a normal heat gun that can get the air up to 1000*F. My team is planning on having a metal piece that is U shaped to insert the hockey stick into to heat up the glue. We are planning on running ohmic wire on the back side of the metal piece, having it act as a heat sink, transferring the heat to the stick. I am looking for any advice on what style/ size of resistance wire and what type of metal to use to generate enough heat to the hockey stick.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you could supply me with a drawing, as to what your wanting to accomplish, perhaps I would be able to help you with the project. -Larry

I am not sure, how to send you a drawing. But what we are planning on is U shaped metal channel, 1.5" W x 1.5" H x 4" L. There will be exposed resistance wires that will directly touch the hockey stick. The metal is there because the tool will be made of plastic and we need to safely transfer the heat into the tool without melting the plastic. An option we discussed was to have slots cut into the metal with a fan on the inside of the tool, to blow the hot air from inside the tool over the wires onto the stick.

1. What is a resistance heater for hockey blades?

A resistance heater for hockey blades is a small, electrically-powered device that is attached to the bottom of a hockey skate blade. It heats up the blade and prevents ice buildup, allowing for better control and speed while skating.

2. How does a resistance heater work?

A resistance heater works by using an electrical current to heat up a specialized wire that is embedded in the bottom of the skate blade. This wire has a high resistance, which causes it to heat up when electricity flows through it. The heat from the wire warms up the blade and melts any ice that may form on the surface.

3. Can I use a resistance heater on any type of hockey blade?

Most resistance heaters are designed to fit on standard hockey blades, but it's always best to check the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations before purchasing one. Some resistance heaters may also have specific requirements for the type and size of battery needed to power them.

4. Are resistance heaters safe to use?

Yes, resistance heaters are generally safe to use as long as they are used properly and according to the manufacturer's instructions. It's important to make sure the heater is securely attached to the blade and that the battery is charged and functioning correctly. As with any electrical device, it's important to use caution and avoid any potential fire hazards.

5. Do resistance heaters affect the performance of the skate blade?

Resistance heaters are designed to have minimal impact on the performance of the skate blade. The wire used in the heater is very thin and lightweight, so it doesn't add significant weight or affect the balance of the skate. However, it's always best to test the skate with the heater attached before using it in a game to ensure the player is comfortable and can perform at their best.