Age Discrimination on the Job: Loosing It or Love?

• Thread starter Tregg Smith
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around age discrimination at work and the husband's wife's response to his question about older people at her workplace. The wife's hostile reaction and throwing of pills led to the husband considering changing the locks, but he ultimately decides to stand by her despite her strange behavior. The conversation ends with the husband questioning if he or his wife has lost it.
Tregg Smith
We were talking about age discrimination on the job the other morning. I asked my wife if there were any older people where she works. She said "yes but it's mostly youth." Sparks had already flown earlier in other conversations so her answer really bothering me ( I was thinking WTF!) as I repeated my question she got more hostile each time until she left for work slamming the door. Then she came back into get a forgotten thing so I said "I know it's that you don't know the definition of youth." at which point she threw a bottle of pills at me. I opened the door and said not to come back and that I was going to change the locks. Which I didn't do of course. I realized if you love somebody you stand by them even if they get weird. Am I missing something here? She's not suffering any new dementia that I know of. I've dropped the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking if your wife lost it, or if you have lost it completely and gone nuts??

I think the usual manner of dealing with this, as a man, is to state some grumpy really woman-unfriendly nonsense, like: "Must have been a bad hair day," and move on.

Then again, I do have a lousy track record.

1. What is age discrimination on the job?

Age discrimination on the job refers to the unfair treatment of an employee or job applicant based on their age. This can include denying them employment opportunities, promotions, or other benefits solely because of their age.

2. How common is age discrimination on the job?

Age discrimination on the job is unfortunately quite common. According to a survey by AARP, nearly two-thirds of workers aged 45 and older have seen or experienced age discrimination in the workplace.

3. What are the laws against age discrimination on the job?

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) is a federal law that prohibits age discrimination against people who are 40 years or older. Some states also have their own laws that protect workers from age discrimination.

4. What are some examples of age discrimination on the job?

Age discrimination can take many forms, including being passed over for a promotion, being denied training or development opportunities, receiving lower pay or benefits compared to younger colleagues, or being subjected to offensive comments or jokes about your age.

5. How can age discrimination on the job be prevented?

Employers can prevent age discrimination by implementing fair hiring and promotion practices, providing equal opportunities for training and development, and fostering a culture of inclusivity and respect in the workplace. Employees can also report any instances of age discrimination to their HR department or seek legal recourse if necessary.