Need to understand: derivating euler rotation from fixed axis rotation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving rotational matrices and reference frames, specifically the process of converting from fixed axis rotation to Euler rotation. The question at hand involves using a similarity transformation to reverse the rotations, but the person is unsure of the process and is seeking further explanation from the book. The person also mentions that the book does not provide enough explanation for certain questions, causing confusion.
muffinman123

Homework Statement

15yj3ur.png

Homework Equations

given in question

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the solution but I don't understand what it means

the process is simply fixed(c,b,a) to euler(a,b,c)

Rz(a)=Rz(a)
Ry(b)=Rz(a)Ry(b)Rz'(a)
Rz(c)=Rz(a)Ry(b)Rz(c)Ry'(b)Rz'(a)

write it in fixed form (c,b,a)

Rz(c)Ry(b)Rz(a) = blah blah, and you get Rz^(a)Ry^(b)Rz^(c)

BUT forget all that

I want to know how the similiarity transoform looks at certain of middle step of a rotation as though it's being observed in fixed axis, and why is the question answered the way it is. I thought I was supposed to multiply euler rotation Rz(a)Ry(b)Rz(c) and try to reach fixed axis rotation Rz(c)Ry(b)Rz(a), but the question clearly asks me to do it the reverse of that because the similiarity transform only let's me get it that way.

The book does not explain how that Similiarity Transformation works reverse the rotation or how it's derived. it just brush it off as something obvious while it just barely talked about rotational matrix and reference frames by the end of chapter 2.

This question is fine if you just write the formulas down and forget about it, but I feel I am skipping a lot more without knowing the meaning behind the formulas.

this question is from John Craig's robotics book which has useful stuff in the 1st few chapters but for some of the questions at the end of the chapter, he didn't give me enough explanation to do them and left me puzzled.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not asking for the answer - I already know that. I just don't understand why it works or how the similarity transformation lets me reverse the rotations.

1. What is the difference between euler rotation and fixed axis rotation?

Euler rotation is a mathematical representation of a 3D rotation that uses three angles to describe the orientation of an object in space. Fixed axis rotation, on the other hand, uses a single axis and angle to describe a rotation around that axis.

2. How are euler angles related to euler rotation?

Euler angles are the three angles used in euler rotation to describe the orientation of an object in space. They are typically represented as rotations around the x, y, and z axes.

3. Why is it important to understand the derivation of euler rotation from fixed axis rotation?

Understanding the derivation of euler rotation from fixed axis rotation can help in understanding the underlying mathematical principles behind 3D rotations. This knowledge is important in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics.

4. Can euler rotation and fixed axis rotation be used interchangeably?

No, euler rotation and fixed axis rotation are two distinct mathematical representations of 3D rotations and cannot be used interchangeably. They have different conventions and limitations, and using them interchangeably can lead to incorrect results.

5. What are the advantages of using euler rotation over fixed axis rotation?

Euler rotation allows for more intuitive control over the orientation of an object in 3D space since it uses three angles instead of one. It also allows for more flexibility in describing complex rotations, such as rotations around multiple axes simultaneously. However, fixed axis rotation is more computationally efficient and less prone to gimbal lock, a phenomenon that can occur in euler rotation.