Calculating velocity at a certain time

In summary, the position of a body as a function of time is given by X(t)=9\cdot cos(1.2t)\cdot e^{-t/10}, and the velocity of the body at t=17sec is calculated using the formula v(t)=\frac{dr}{dt} to be -1.975. This negative velocity indicates that the body is traveling in the opposite direction, assuming the number 1.2 in the cosine function has units of rad/sec. Velocity is a vector with both magnitude and direction.
phyyy

Homework Statement

The following describes the position of a body as a function of time: [itex]X(t)=9\cdot cos(1.2t)\cdot e^{-t/10}[/itex].

What is the velocity of the body at t=17sec ?

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm trying to use the formula [itex]v(t)=\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex] in order to get the velocity and I get: [itex]-9\cdot e^{\frac{-17}{10}}\cdot [sin(1.2\cdot 17)\cdot 1.2+\frac{1}{10}\cdot cos(1.2\cdot 17)]=-1.975[/itex]

I guess negative velocity means the body is traveling in the oposite direction but is seems a little odd. Could this be the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello phyyy,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

phyyy said:

Homework Statement

The following describes the position of a body as a function of time: [itex]X(t)=9\cdot cos(1.2t)\cdot e^{-t/10}[/itex].

What is the velocity of the body at t=17sec ?

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm trying to use the formula [itex]v(t)=\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex] in order to get the velocity and I get: [itex]-9\cdot e^{\frac{-17}{10}}\cdot [sin(1.2\cdot 17)\cdot 1.2+\frac{1}{10}\cdot cos(1.2\cdot 17)]=-1.975[/itex]
That's what I got (ignoring any rounding differences). :approve: But that assumes that the number 1.2 in the cosine function has units of rad/sec (as opposed to deg/sec).
I guess negative velocity means the body is traveling in the oposite direction but is seems a little odd. Could this be the right answer?
That shouldn't seem that odd. Velocity is vector. It has both magnitude and direction.

Thanks collinsmark!

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (distance) by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

What units are used for velocity?

The most common units for velocity are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph).

Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. For example, if a car is moving east but the reference point is west, the velocity would be negative.

How does velocity differ from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. While speed only measures how fast an object is moving, velocity also takes into account the direction of movement. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.