Why Does the Path Integral in Quantum Mechanics Include an Imaginary Unit 'i'?

In summary, the i in the path integral for quantum mechanics arises from the need to weight the paths according to their complex overlap, as described by the inner product operation. This i is necessary in order for the path integral to accurately represent the quantum state of a system.
unchained1978
I've been studying the path integral approach to QM on my own, and trying to draw some analogies between the partition function of QM \begin{equation}Z_{QM}=\int D\varphi e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}S[\phi]}\end{equation} and that of statistical mechanics \begin{equation}Z_{SM}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=0}^N g_{i}e^{-\beta E_{i}}\end{equation}. The thing is I don't understand why there is an [itex]i[/itex] in [itex]Z_{QM}[/itex]. I've gone through a derivation and it comes from the Unitary operator [itex]\hat{U}=e^{-i\hat{H}t}[/itex], but I don't see why this is necessary. On wikipedia, the explanation is that the [itex]i[/itex] comes from the jacobian of the complex projective space or something like that. I'm not quite satisfied with that definition. The reason I'm investigating this is because in one of Hawking's papers he calculates the entropy of various spacetimes, and one thing I noticed is that the entropy [itex]S=k_{B}lnZ+\beta<E>[/itex] is only defined when [itex]lnZ[/itex] is real, which requires that [itex]iS[g][/itex] is also real, and therefore the action must be complex. But I don't quite understand this argument from an intuitive point. Could anyone give me a good description (or link to one) of why this [itex]i[/itex] appears at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance. A:The i appears in the path integral because the quantum state of a system can be written as an element of $L^2(\mathbb{R},d\psi)$ where $\psi$ is a complex valued function, and the inner product operation is defined to be $$\langle \psi_1 |\psi_2\rangle=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi_1^*\psi_2 d\psi$$ So the inner product of two quantum states is a measure of their overlap. The path integral formulation of QM is essentially a way of expressing the state of a system as a sum over all possible paths. The i appears in the path integral because the paths have to be weighted according to their overlap with each other. Since the overlap is a complex number, the weighting must also be a complex number. Thus the path integral must have an i in it in order to properly weight the paths.

1. What is a real valued path integral?

A real valued path integral is a mathematical tool used in physics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in a given time period. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle can take and integrates over them to determine the most probable path.

2. How is a real valued path integral different from a complex valued path integral?

A complex valued path integral uses complex numbers in its calculations, whereas a real valued path integral only uses real numbers. This makes the real valued path integral easier to work with and interpret, but it may not accurately capture certain quantum mechanical phenomena.

3. What are some applications of real valued path integrals?

Real valued path integrals have many applications in theoretical physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and electrodynamics. They are also used in fields such as finance, where they can be used to model the behavior of stock prices.

4. What is the significance of Feynman path integrals in real valued path integrals?

Feynman path integrals, named after physicist Richard Feynman, are a specific type of real valued path integral used in quantum mechanics. They allow for a more intuitive and visual understanding of quantum mechanics by representing a particle's path as a sum of all possible paths. This approach has been highly influential in modern theoretical physics.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using real valued path integrals?

One major limitation of real valued path integrals is that they can only be used for systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom. This means they are not suitable for describing systems with an infinite number of particles, such as a gas. Additionally, calculating real valued path integrals can be computationally intensive and may require advanced mathematical techniques.