Calculate Capacitor Charge Time for DC Motor

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit to activate a D.C. motor using a capacitor that charges and discharges. The motor is activated when the capacitor reaches 30 volts and stops running when it reaches 10 volts. The question asks for the pressing time needed to activate the motor for the first time. The solution involves calculations and a diagram provided by the person attempting the question. The conversation also includes a joke about the person's attempt to look sexy and a mention of another clause in the question.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The following is a circuit to activate D.C. motor. The circuit contains a capacitor that charges and discharges, and a circuit to activate/disconnect the D.C. motor (which does not appear in the drawing). When pressing P1, the capacitor C is charged, and when it reaches 30 volts the motor is activated. When pressing P2 the capacitor discharges, and when it reaches 10 Volts the motor stops running.

COMMENT: when the motor is turned on or off, the button P1 and P2 are released immediately correspondingly, so not to let the capacitor keep on charging or discharging beyond needed (over 30 volts or below 10 volts)

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/927/ppppv.jpg

Question: The capacitor is discharged. Calculate the the pressing time needed (t1) to activate the motor for the first time.

Homework Equations

In the attempt

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm handling this correctly...

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6931/chargefix.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6247/charge2y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perfect!
I give it my stamp of approval. :)

(Flowers?)

I like Serena said:
(Flowers?)

Oh yea, that ;)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3197/300mw.jpg

Overkill? Just trying to look sexy :P

The flower is fake but this is only between us

There is another clause to that question but I'll post back soon^^

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no such thing as overkill! I like it!

Hehe...thanks... I got the rest of it verified by a friend so I'll skip posting the other clauses. Much appreciated ILS :)

1. How do I calculate the charge time for a DC motor capacitor?

The charge time for a DC motor capacitor can be calculated using the formula T = R x C, where T is the charge time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula assumes that the capacitor is being charged through a resistor in a simple RC circuit.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the charge time for a DC motor capacitor?

The charge time for a DC motor capacitor is important because it determines how long it will take for the capacitor to reach its full charge, which in turn affects the performance of the DC motor. A longer charge time may result in slower motor speeds and a shorter charge time may result in faster motor speeds.

3. Does the charge time for a DC motor capacitor affect the overall efficiency of the motor?

Yes, the charge time for a DC motor capacitor can affect the overall efficiency of the motor. If the charge time is too long, it can lead to energy losses and decreased efficiency. It is important to calculate the charge time accurately in order to optimize the performance of the motor.

4. How can I adjust the charge time for a DC motor capacitor?

The charge time for a DC motor capacitor can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistance and capacitance in the RC circuit. A higher resistance or capacitance will result in a longer charge time, while a lower resistance or capacitance will result in a shorter charge time. It is important to carefully select these values to achieve the desired charge time for the motor.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the charge time for a DC motor capacitor?

Yes, in addition to resistance and capacitance, there are other factors that can affect the charge time for a DC motor capacitor. These include the voltage of the power source, the temperature of the capacitor, and the quality of the materials used to make the capacitor. It is important to take these factors into consideration when calculating the charge time for a DC motor capacitor.