Linear Equation Solutions: A Systematic Approach for n1xn2 and n1xm2 Matrices

In summary: The problem is that the determinant of A^t.A is not 1.The determinant of A^t.A is (A^t.A)^-1= (1/5)*(1/5)=-1 so (1) gets the correct C, but (2) gets C=10.In summary, the question is how to solve for C given A and B, but the example given does not work due to the non-zero determinant of A^t.A.
phynewb
Hi guys

I wonder if you know any linear algebra formalism or something to solve the following question systematically?

Give A,B with A=n1xn2 matrix and B=n1xm2 matrix.
How do we get C=n2xm2 matrix such that A*C=B.
A simple example if A=(1,2)^t, B=(2,4)^t, then C=2

The question is how to solve C given A and B.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends upon how many dimensions A and B have. In the example you give the simplest method is the write out the components and solve the resulting system of equations. Since A is "1 by 2" and B is "2 by 1", C must be a 1 by 1 matrix (a single number) and AC= B becomes
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}c\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}c \\ 2c\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}2 \\ 4\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which gives the two equations c= 2 and 2c= 4 so that c= 2. Of course, if B has NOT been a simple multiple of A, there would not have been any solution.

If you think about how matrix multiplication AC is defined, the i'th column of C only affects the i'th column of B.

So you only need to consider the simpler problem where C and B are vectors.

This is just a set of linear equations, which may have zero, one, or more than one solution depending on the row and column dimensions of A and the rank of A. The details should be covered in any course on linear algebra, or numerical methods for solving linear equations.

Thanks AlephZero and HallsofIvy.

I guess the example is too simple.
I like to consider the general case.
Here is the way I solve it.
Want to solve C with AC=B.
Multiply A^t on both sides A^t.A.C=A^t.B
Now A^t.A^t is a square matrix so I can calculate its inverse (if it is not singular)
Then I get C=(A^t.A)^-1.A^t.B (1)

However if I calculate C in this way, something goes wrong!
For example,
Say A=[1,2]^t, B=[[1,0,2],[2,1,0]]
By(1) C=1/5[5,2,2]
But A.C=1/5[[5,2,2],[10,4,4]]\=B.
So I wonder what is wrong with (1).
Why does (1) get correct C such that A.C=B?

for your question! There are several methods for solving linear equations involving matrices. One systematic approach is to use the Gaussian elimination method, which involves performing row operations on the augmented matrix [A|B] until it is in row-echelon form. This will give you a system of equations that can be easily solved.

Another approach is to use matrix inversion, where you find the inverse of matrix A and then multiply it by B to get C. However, this method may not always be feasible if A is not invertible.

There are also other techniques such as using the LU decomposition or the QR decomposition, which can be helpful in solving linear equations involving matrices.

In summary, there are various systematic approaches that can be used to solve linear equations involving matrices. It ultimately depends on the specific problem and the properties of the matrices involved. I hope this helps!

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which the variables are raised to the power of 1 and there are no exponents or variables multiplied together.

How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite mathematical operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is by itself on one side.

What is the difference between one-step and multi-step linear equations?

A one-step linear equation can be solved in one step, by using only one inverse operation. A multi-step linear equation requires multiple inverse operations to solve.

What is the importance of solving linear equations?

Solving linear equations is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to find unknown values, make predictions, and model real-world situations.

Can linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. This depends on the values of the coefficients and constants in the equation and whether they allow for a unique solution or not.