Derivation of the kinetic energy equation in terms of distance.

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the kinetic energy equation using the formula F = M * v' and E = F * x. It is noted that if one only considers the rate of change of distance and the rate of change of the rate of change of distance, the derivation does not work. This is due to a mistake in the last step, where dx is mistakenly mixed up with dt. After correcting this, the correct derivation is obtained, which results in the equation E = 0.5*M*(x')^2.
CraigH
I have seen the derivation of the kinetic energy equation using

F=M*v'
and
E=F*x

And I can see how this works, however if you try to do this without thinking about velocity, and only thinking about the rate of change of distance, and the rate of change of rate of change of distance, then the derivation doesn't work, as shown below.

F = Force
M = Mass
x = Distance

Force = mass * acceleration and
Energy = the integral of force with respect to distance:

F = M * x''
E = integral ( F .dx )

sub F into E = integral ( F .dx )

E = integral ( M * x'' .dx )
E = M * integral ( x'' .dx )
E = M * x'

Which isn't true. E should equal 0.5*M*(x')^2
Why does this not work?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CraigH said:
E = integral ( M * x'' .dx )
E = M * x'
How did you get that last step? (Are mixing up dx with dt?)

Ahhhhh yes I am. Thankyou! I get this now.

In case anyone was wondering

E= M * integral ( d(dx/dt)/dt .dx)

E = M * integral ( dx/dt .d(dx/dt))

E= M*0.5*(dx/dt)^2

E=0.5*M*(x')^2

for sharing your derivation of the kinetic energy equation in terms of distance. Your approach is certainly a valid one, but it may be more helpful to think about it in terms of work and energy.

First, let's define some terms:

- Work (W) is the amount of force (F) applied over a distance (d): W = F*d
- Kinetic energy (KE) is the energy an object possesses due to its motion: KE = 0.5*M*v^2
- Power (P) is the rate at which work is done: P = W/t = F*v

Now, let's consider the relationship between work and kinetic energy. The work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy: W = KEf - KEi. This can also be written as W = 0.5*M*v^2f - 0.5*M*v^2i.

Using the definition of power, we can rewrite this as:

P*t = 0.5*M*v^2f - 0.5*M*v^2i

Since we are only interested in the change in kinetic energy, we can divide both sides by 0.5*M and rearrange to get the familiar equation:

0.5*M*(v^2f - v^2i) = P*t

Now, let's consider the relationship between velocity and distance. We know that velocity is the rate of change of distance, or v = d/t. Substituting this into our previous equation, we get:

0.5*M*((d/t)^2f - (d/t)^2i) = P*t

Simplifying, we get:

0.5*M*((d^2f - d^2i)/t^2) = P*t

Finally, we can rearrange to get the equation for kinetic energy in terms of distance:

KE = 0.5*M*(d^2f - d^2i)/t^2

This may look different from the equation you derived, but it is essentially the same. The key is to think about the concept of work and energy, and how they are related to distance and velocity. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Kinetic Energy Equation in terms of distance?

The Kinetic Energy Equation in terms of distance is a mathematical representation of the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is expressed as KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How is the Kinetic Energy Equation derived in terms of distance?

The Kinetic Energy Equation is derived using the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. By integrating the work equation over a distance, the Kinetic Energy Equation is obtained.

3. What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the Kinetic Energy Equation in terms of distance?

The derivation assumes that the object is moving at a constant velocity, there is no external force acting on the object, and all the work done is converted into kinetic energy.

4. Why is the Kinetic Energy Equation important in physics?

The Kinetic Energy Equation is important in physics because it allows us to calculate the energy of a moving object and understand the relationship between its mass, velocity, and energy. It is also a fundamental concept in many other branches of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Can the Kinetic Energy Equation in terms of distance be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Kinetic Energy Equation in terms of distance can be applied to all types of motion, as long as the assumptions made in its derivation are met. However, for non-uniform motion, the equation may need to be modified to account for changes in velocity and distance.