The stabbing resistance of graphene:

In summary: Link to Columbia professor James Hone saying this.Now if we can make a sandwich of graphene along with another 2D material (Hexagonal Boron nitride, for example) there is a possibility of being able to test a modified version of the saran wrap theory.
Reptile202
I've read that it's several times stronger than steel. I haven't read anything about its stabbing resistance against the tip of a knife, though. Does anyone have any ideas on this subject? Could a human stab through an inch of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like that will depend more upon the weave than the material. Stainless steel can let a bullet through, and wool can stop one.
(By the bye, a Kevlar bullet-proof vest won't stop a knife.)

Likes 1 person
Danger said:
Something like that will depend more upon the weave than the material. Stainless steel can let a bullet through, and wool can stop one.
(By the bye, a Kevlar bullet-proof vest won't stop a knife.)

Thanks for answering.

I presume you're saying an inch of graphene itself would be impervious to a knife attack. However, if weaved incorrect, the tip of a knife can part the material; therefore, passing through the gap in the fabric?

I don't actually know anything about graphene, but you have my concept understood. Kevlar acts almost like a sheer-thickening fluid when a bullet hits it; ie: it spreads the impact over a very wide area. A knife, on the other hand, can just slip through between the fibres. Many people have been dismayed to learn that during combat.

Danger said:
I don't actually know anything about graphene, but you have my concept understood. Kevlar acts almost like a sheer-thickening fluid when a bullet hits it; ie: it spreads the impact over a very wide area. A knife, on the other hand, can just slip through between the fibres. Many people have been dismayed to learn that during combat.

From what I can remember, Kevlar is stronger than steel. How is it that scissors can cut through a Kevlar string? In this case, wouldn't the fibers actually be getting cut instead of parted?

Scissors can cut through steel wool (i.e., steel fibre).

Well an "inch thick" sheet of graphene would essentially just be a slab of graphite. You could do this test yourself pretty easily.

dipole said:
Well an "inch thick" sheet of graphene would essentially just be a slab of graphite. You could do this test yourself pretty easily.

Well, I did do some more research today and found something interesting: “It would take an elephant, balanced on a pencil, to break through a sheet of graphene the thickness of Saran Wrap.”

I presume that basically would be equal to stabbing graphene.

Reptile202 said:
“It would take an elephant, balanced on a pencil, to break through a sheet of graphene the thickness of Saran Wrap.”
I'd really like to see a reliable source for that quote, because it reeks of BS.

Danger said:
I'd really like to see a reliable source for that quote, because it reeks of BS.

Link to Columbia professor James Hone saying this.

That said, there are a number of reasons why this quote is misleading.
1: Stacking layers of graphene leads to the formation of graphite. Unless you can find a way to stack graphene without having individual sheets bond to each other, the quote will never be tested.
2. This makes people think an individual sheet of graphene is incredibly strong on the macroscale, it's not. I can easily cut through a graphene sheet with a pair of scissors.

Now if we can make a sandwich of graphene along with another 2D material (Hexagonal Boron nitride, for example) there is a possibility of being able to test a modified version of the saran wrap theory.

Reptile202 said:
Well, I did do some more research today and found something interesting: “It would take an elephant, balanced on a pencil, to break through a sheet of graphene the thickness of Saran Wrap.”

I presume that basically would be equal to stabbing graphene.

Could be BS or it could just refer to the 'spreadability' of graphene. What sort of backing material would need to be used in order, actually, to support this elephant. I imagine that the layer of graphene could be very thin so, by some measure, you could say it hadn't been 'punctured'. A similar statement could possibly be made about a number of high pressure lubricating oils.

1. What is graphene and why is it considered a promising material for stab resistance?

Graphene is a one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is considered promising for stab resistance due to its exceptional strength and stiffness, as well as its ability to distribute and dissipate energy upon impact.

2. How does graphene compare to other materials in terms of stab resistance?

Graphene has been shown to be significantly stronger and stiffer than other materials commonly used for stab resistance, such as Kevlar and steel. It also has the advantage of being much lighter, making it more practical for use in protective gear.

3. How is the stab resistance of graphene tested and measured?

The stab resistance of graphene is typically tested using an instrument called a micro-puncture tester, which applies a controlled amount of force to a small area of graphene and measures the resulting indentation. This data can then be used to calculate the material's resistance to penetration by a sharp object.

4. Can graphene be used for stab-resistant clothing and equipment?

Yes, graphene has the potential to be used for stab-resistant clothing and equipment. However, there are still challenges to be overcome in terms of mass production and cost-effectiveness. Research and development in this area are ongoing.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using graphene for stab resistance?

One potential drawback to using graphene for stab resistance is its brittleness. While it is incredibly strong and stiff, it can also be prone to cracking under certain conditions. This can be mitigated through the use of composite materials and careful design and manufacturing processes.