Help with Pressure Calculation at Point C

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bernoulli's Theorem to determine the pressure at Point C in a system where water is flowing through cylinders of varying lengths and diameters. The speaker is seeking help in choosing the correct valve for the chamber and wondering if the theorem can be applied to different shapes, to which the other person responds affirmatively.
anthonynichola
Hello, is there anyone who can help me with this? I am completely stumped. Here is the situation:

Point A: Water is flowing into a valve at 559 (mbar) of pressure and into a cylinder that's 12 mm long and 7mm in diameter.

Point B: It then will enter another cylinder that is 40 mm long 10 mm in diameter.

Point C: At this point it will enter another cylinder 5mm long and 7mm in diameter.

Im trying to figure out what the pressure will be at Point C so that I can choose the correct umbrella valve to use so that water flows out of the chamber.

Physics news on Phys.org
anthonynichola said:
Hello, is there anyone who can help me with this? I am completely stumped. Here is the situation:

Many... :smile:

Point A: Water is flowing into a valve at 559 (mbar) of pressure and into a cylinder that's 12 mm long and 7mm in diameter.

Point B: It then will enter another cylinder that is 40 mm long 10 mm in diameter.

Point C: At this point it will enter another cylinder 5mm long and 7mm in diameter.

Im trying to figure out what the pressure will be at Point C so that I can choose the correct umbrella valve to use so that water flows out of the chamber.

If all the points : A,B and C lie in the same streamline, you can apply "Bernoulli's Theorem", at A,B and C respectively.

Best of luck buddy ! :)

Thanks! Does this apply also if I change the shape of the chamber? Meaning, instead of a cylinder its an oval? I am young and inexperienced lol

anthonynichola said:
Thanks! Does this apply also if I change the shape of the chamber? Meaning, instead of a cylinder its an oval?

Provided that when the shape of chamber is changed, that is A,B and C are ovals, then also you can apply Bernoulli's Theorem, if A,B and C lie in a same streamline.

I'm young and inexperienced lol

And So am I. :tongue:

If the flow is incrompressible and also irrotational then you can apply Bernulli's theorem between any points in the flow.

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force applied per unit area. In scientific terms, it can be calculated by dividing the force by the area over which it is applied.

2. What is the formula for calculating pressure?

The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. This formula is commonly used in scientific and engineering calculations involving pressure.

3. How do I calculate pressure at a specific point?

To calculate pressure at a specific point, you first need to determine the force acting on that point and the area over which it is applied. Once you have these values, you can use the formula P = F/A to calculate the pressure at that point.

4. What is the unit of measurement for pressure?

The unit of measurement for pressure depends on the system of measurement being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the unit of pressure is the Pascal (Pa). In the imperial system, the unit of pressure is pounds per square inch (psi).

5. Can you provide an example of pressure calculation at point C?

Sure, let's say we have a force of 100 Newtons acting on an area of 5 square meters at point C. To calculate the pressure at point C, we would use the formula P = F/A. Plugging in the values, we get P = 100 N / 5 m2 = 20 Pa. Therefore, the pressure at point C is 20 Pascals.