Maximizing Mixing Efficiency: Inline Mixing Pressures & PD Pump Selection

• Thread starter mrmiller1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the conversation discusses the mixing of two streams with controlled flow rates using an inline static mixer. The use of check valves and the potential for pressure issues is also mentioned. The speaker also asks for recommendations on a positive displacement pump for pumping caustic and inquires about the pressure tolerance of a glued CPVC joint.
mrmiller1
I have two streams at controlled flow rates that will mix via an inline static mixer. Both streams will have check valves before the mixer, however, do I have to worry about fighting pressures in this situation? If the one stream is 40 psi and the other is only 20 psi, will the 20 psi line become motionless? Both lines will be fed by positive displacement pumps.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for the type of PD pump if I'm pumping 50% caustic? I'm worried if I use a gear pump the caustic will eat the gears. Perhaps a lobe pump would suffice. Controlling the flow rate is key here, so obviously centrifugal and peristaltic pumps are out.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a PD pump in each line the flow rates will be equal the the pump flows. For example, if the "20 psi line becomes motionless" the pressure will rise above your 20 psi (and it will rise fast). PD pumps don't have a head-flow curve like centrifugal pumps do.

Thanks. That makes sense.
Any idea how much pressure a glued cpvc joint will stand?
I know the piping itself is rated to 400 psi (2" sch 80) and I suspect if I use a longer setting glue it will only take it down to around 200. My instrument flanges are rated for 150, so that's probably my limit.

1. What is the purpose of maximizing mixing efficiency?

The purpose of maximizing mixing efficiency is to ensure that all components in a mixture are evenly distributed and thoroughly mixed, resulting in a homogenous and consistent final product. This is especially important in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and chemicals, where product quality and consistency are crucial.

2. What is inline mixing and how does it impact efficiency?

Inline mixing refers to the process of mixing components while they are flowing through a pipeline or channel. This method of mixing is highly efficient as it eliminates the need for separate mixing vessels and reduces the potential for contamination. The turbulent flow created by inline mixing also helps to improve mixing efficiency by promoting better mixing of the components.

3. How do inline mixing pressures affect efficiency?

The pressure at which the components are introduced into the mixing system can greatly impact the efficiency of the mixing process. High pressures can cause shearing of the components, leading to uneven mixing and potentially damaging the product. It is important to carefully consider and adjust the inline mixing pressures to optimize efficiency and maintain product integrity.

4. What is the role of PD pump selection in maximizing mixing efficiency?

Piston diaphragm (PD) pumps are commonly used in inline mixing systems to introduce components into the mixing chamber. The selection of the appropriate PD pump is crucial in maximizing mixing efficiency, as factors such as flow rate, pressure, and viscosity of the components must be taken into account. Choosing the right pump will ensure that the components are delivered at the correct speed and pressure for optimal mixing.

5. Can maximizing mixing efficiency also improve cost-effectiveness?

Yes, maximizing mixing efficiency can also lead to cost savings in the long run. By achieving a more thorough and efficient mixing process, companies can reduce the amount of product waste and rework, resulting in cost savings. Additionally, efficient mixing can also increase production rates, allowing for higher output and potentially reducing production costs.