Total Lighting Load & Current

In summary, the speaker is seeking verification on their calculations for combining a series of lights into one circuit. They have 24 bulbs with 32W each, resulting in a total load of 768W. The current is calculated to be 6.4 Amps. The lights will run on a 20A breaker, which allows for a maximum load of 16A. The speaker is unsure if they are forgetting anything, particularly regarding the startup current of the fluorescent lamps.
opmal7
It's been a while since I had my last circuits class, so I'm just looking for some verification on my calculations. I have a series of lights that I want to combine to 1 circuit (if possible).

Each light fixture has 2 bulbs, and I have a total of 12 fixtures, meaning 24 bulbs. I am using 32W fluorescent light bulbs. To find the total load I multiply the 32W per bulb by 24 (# of bulbs) and get 768W. Now I want to find the current, so I divide the power by voltage. 768W/120V=6.4 Amps.

The lights will be running on a 20A breaker, and code allows me to load the break to 0.8*Rating. 0.8*20=16A. So the 6.4 Amps that I will be pulling, will be safely less than the 16A I should not exceed. Does that sound right, or is there something I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
opmal7 said:
It's been a while since I had my last circuits class, so I'm just looking for some verification on my calculations. I have a series of lights that I want to combine to 1 circuit (if possible).

Each light fixture has 2 bulbs, and I have a total of 12 fixtures, meaning 24 bulbs. I am using 32W fluorescent light bulbs. To find the total load I multiply the 32W per bulb by 24 (# of bulbs) and get 768W. Now I want to find the current, so I divide the power by voltage. 768W/120V=6.4 Amps.

The lights will be running on a 20A breaker, and code allows me to load the break to 0.8*Rating. 0.8*20=16A. So the 6.4 Amps that I will be pulling, will be safely less than the 16A I should not exceed. Does that sound right, or is there something I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

Since they are flourescent lamps, do you know what their startup current is? That may end up giving you a higher peak/initial current.

What is total lighting load and current?

Total lighting load refers to the total amount of energy consumed by all the lighting fixtures in a space, while current refers to the flow of electricity in a circuit. In simpler terms, it is the amount of electricity needed to power all the lights in a given area.

How is total lighting load and current calculated?

Total lighting load can be calculated by adding up the wattage of all the lighting fixtures in a space. Current, on the other hand, can be calculated by dividing the total wattage by the voltage of the circuit.

Why is it important to consider total lighting load and current?

It is important to consider total lighting load and current in order to ensure that the electrical system can handle the amount of energy needed for all the lighting fixtures. Overloading a circuit can lead to electrical hazards such as fire, and can also cause damage to the lighting fixtures.

What factors can affect total lighting load and current?

The number and type of lighting fixtures, the wattage of each fixture, the voltage of the circuit, and the duration of use can all affect total lighting load and current. Other factors such as dimming controls, energy-efficient lighting, and power factor correction can also impact the load and current.

How can total lighting load and current be reduced?

Total lighting load and current can be reduced by using energy-efficient lighting such as LED bulbs, using natural light sources, and implementing lighting controls such as dimmers and occupancy sensors. Regular maintenance and upgrades of lighting fixtures can also help to reduce the load and current.