Group velocity dispersion and normal, anomalous dispersion?

In summary, normal and anomalous dispersion occur because the phase velocity is a function of k, causing different components of a wave to spread out over time. Group velocity dispersion is the effect of this on the group velocity, which can also vary due to different group velocities. This is described by the dispersion relation, which is related to the dielectricity function or index of refraction. In the case of quasi-monochromatic signals, the group velocity can be approximated as the speed at which the envelope of the wave packet travels. However, this approximation may not hold true in regions of resonances and can lead to anomalous dispersion where the group velocity can be greater than the speed of light in vacuum.
applestrudle
From my understanding, normal and anomalous dispersion are because the phase velocity is a function of k so it is different for different components of a group so the group will spread out over time.

So what's group velocity dispersion? Is it the same affect (dispersion/ spreading out) because of the group velocities being different? But if the group velocities are different wouldn't the phase velocities be too?

:confused:

Please help me understand!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look at this for the most simple case of a wave propagating along the [itex]x[/itex] direction. The wave is described in terms of a Fourier transform
[tex]f(t,x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{d} k}{2 \pi} \tilde{f}(k) \exp[-\mathrm{i} \omega(k) t+\mathrm{i} k x].[/tex]
The dispersion relation
[tex]\omega=\omega(k)[/tex]
depends on the specific physical situation. In optics for the most simple case of an unmagnetic homogeneous and isotropic material it's related to the dielectricity function [itex]\epsilon[/itex] or the index of refraction [itex]n(\omega)[/itex].

Now suppose we have a wave packet which is nearly monochromatic, i.e., [itex]\tilde{f}(k)[/itex] is rather sharply peaked around a wave number [itex]k_0[/itex]. Then we can approximate
[tex]\omega(k) \simeq \omega(k_0)+\omega'(k_0) (k-k_0).[/tex]
Plugging this into the above Fourier integral we get
[tex]f(t,x)=\exp[-\mathrm{i} \omega(k_0) t+\mathrm{i} k_0 x] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{d} k}{2 \pi} \tilde{f}(k) \exp[-\mathrm{i} k (\omega'(k_0) t - \mathrm{i} x)].[/tex]
This means that the envelope of the wave packet approximately travels with the speed
[tex]v_{\text{g}}=\omega'(k_0),[/tex]
because in this approximation the shape of the envelope is unchanged, because
[tex]|f(t,x)| =F[\omega'(k_0) t-x].[/tex]
This approximation, of course holds only true if [itex]\omega(k)[/itex] doesn't change too rapidly around [itex]k_0[/itex].

For optics the dispersion relation reads
[tex]\omega(k)=\frac{c k}{n(k)}.[/tex]
Then the group velocity for quasi-monochromatic signals with wave numbers around [itex]k_0[/itex] becomes
[tex]v_g=\omega'(k_0)=\frac{c}{n(k_0)} \left [1-k_0 \frac{n'(k_0)}{n(k_0)} \right].[/tex]
For visible light, for most materials usually the index of refrection is increasing with increasing wave number (i.e., decreasing wave length since [itex]k=2 \pi/\lambda[/itex]). This is called normal dispersion. However, it can also happen that, for some frequencies, the index of refraction becomes decreasing with increasing wave number. Then it's called a region of anomalous dispersion.

Particularly in regions of [itex]k[/itex], where there are resonances, the approximation breaks down, and the group velocity looses the physical interpretation just given. In optics around a resonance frequency of the atoms, molecules, the crystal lattice, etc. [itex]\omega'(k_0)[/itex] can even become negative or larger than the speed of light in vacuum (anomalous dispersion), but this in reality doesn't mean any violation of Einstein causality in electrodynamics, because in such cases the signal becomes significantly deformed and the approximation made above to introduce the group velocity invalid. One can analytically show that the wave front only propates maximally with the speed of light in vacuum. This has been demonstrated already around 1910 by Sommerfeld and Brillouin. For a good explanation about these phenomena see A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 4 (Optics) or J. D. Jackson, Classical electrodynamics.

1. What is group velocity dispersion?

Group velocity dispersion (GVD) is a phenomenon in optics and wave propagation where different wavelengths of light travel at different speeds through a medium, causing the wave to spread out over time. This is typically caused by the dispersive properties of the medium, which can lead to distortion and broadening of the pulse.

2. What is normal dispersion?

Normal dispersion occurs when longer wavelengths of light travel faster than shorter wavelengths through a medium. This results in the spreading out of the wave and is a common phenomenon in most transparent materials.

3. What is anomalous dispersion?

Anomalous dispersion is the opposite of normal dispersion, where shorter wavelengths of light travel faster than longer wavelengths through a medium. This can lead to the compression and narrowing of the wave, and is often seen in materials with unique dispersive properties.

4. How does group velocity dispersion affect light propagation in optical fibers?

GVD can cause distortion and broadening of light pulses as they travel through optical fibers, leading to decreased signal quality and data transmission rates. This is a major concern in telecommunications and fiber optic communication systems.

5. How is group velocity dispersion measured and managed?

GVD can be measured using various techniques, such as interferometry or spectral analysis. To manage GVD, materials with low dispersion coefficients can be used, or dispersion compensation techniques can be employed, such as using dispersion-compensating fibers or chirped fiber Bragg gratings.