Henry's Law Constants: Finding K of O2 in EtOH & Glycerol

In summary, Henry's Law states that the amount of a gas dissolved in a liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of the gas above the liquid. It is important to determine Henry's Law constants for different substances as they provide a quantitative measure of gas solubility and can be used to understand the behavior of gases in various environments. The Henry's Law constant is determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of the gas in the liquid at different partial pressures and controlling for factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities. These constants can be used in practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of gases in mixtures and in various industrial and environmental processes.
greginno
I was wondering if anyone knew of a database that contains Henry's Law Constants / solubility values for gases in relation to solvents other than water? I can't seem to come across any myself through google but maybe I'm just using the wrong search strings.

In specific, I'm looking for K of O2 in EtOH and Glycerol.

Thanks for any help/insight!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Handbook of chemistry and physics possibly?

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. I understand your frustration in finding a database for Henry's Law Constants for solvents other than water. I did some research and found a few resources that may be helpful to you.

One option is the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Chemistry WebBook, which has a comprehensive database of physical and chemical properties for various compounds, including Henry's Law Constants for gases in different solvents. You can search for K values for O2 in EtOH and Glycerol using their search function.

Another resource is the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, which also has a section on Henry's Law Constants for various gases in different solvents.

I hope these resources will be helpful to you in finding the information you need. Best of luck in your research!

1. What is Henry's Law and how does it relate to gas solubility?

Henry's Law states that the amount of a gas dissolved in a liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of the gas above the liquid. This means that as the partial pressure of a gas increases, the amount of that gas that can dissolve in a liquid also increases.

2. Why is it important to determine Henry's Law constants for different substances?

Henry's Law constants provide a quantitative measure of gas solubility in a specific liquid. This information is important for understanding the behavior of gases in different environments, such as in industrial processes or natural systems.

3. How is the Henry's Law constant for a specific gas and liquid determined?

The Henry's Law constant is determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of the gas in the liquid at different partial pressures and using the data to calculate the constant. This process is typically done at different temperatures to account for the effect of temperature on gas solubility.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Henry's Law constant measurements?

The accuracy of Henry's Law constant measurements can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, impurities in the gas or liquid, and agitation of the solution. It is important to carefully control these variables during the experiment to ensure accurate results.

5. How can Henry's Law constants be used in practical applications?

Henry's Law constants are used to predict the behavior of gases in different systems, such as in air-water or air-liquid mixtures. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of carbonated beverages or the purification of gases. In environmental science, Henry's Law constants are used to understand the transport and fate of gases in natural systems.