Maxwell's equation which convective derivative

In summary, the author finds the Maxwell equations to be incomplete and does not think that they should be invariant across inertial frames. He also finds fault with Maxwell for not using convective derivatives in his equations. The author tries to show that a mapping can be made between the two fields and seems to be successful. However, professional physicists do not accept this paper and consider it to be of low quality.
enternamehere
http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0511103.pdf

I was wondering what people thought of this paper. Please read up to at least page 3 before responding.
I find it to be pretty convincing up to page 4.

Thanks for any response.

Attachments

• 0511103.pdf
    197.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is hard to take him seriously when he thinks that Gauss' law is a statement of the conservation of charge.

Maxwell's original 20 equations were in quarternion form. It is likely some mathematical knowledge was lost when it was simplified to vector calculus form. Also, Maxwell equations assume no vacuum polarization, something that is patently false and is not true even in deep space.

It's quite well known that Maxwell used full derivative notation rather than partial derivatives for the field values. There are some statements about the history in that paper that I don't agree with. For example, Maxwell did attempt to refit his equations to accommodate moving particles by using Eulerian formulated convective derivatives but didn't feel the attempt was successful and didn't follow up on it. See Olivier Darrigol's "Electrodynamics from Ampere to Einstein". And Helmholtz, not Hertz, was the originator of that type of approach. Hertz might possibly have been the first to employ the simpler Langrangian formulated convective derivatives.

It's pretty easy to demonstrate that Langrangian formulated convective derivatives used as the author shows make the Maxwell equations invariant across Galilean inertial frames. And also covariant when switching roles between receiver and emitter. But to arrive at mathematics that is equivalent to the Lorentz transformation you need to consider other things. The author presents equation 19 which seems entirely ad hoc. It seems to give him what he wants, but the rationale for invoking it or a derivation is lacking.

P.S. Maxwell also did, at one point, append the Lorentz force law or at least a portion of it to the equations which we now know as "Ampere's law" or "Faraday's law" (sorry I can't remember which). That's a topic in his treatise.

I've not analyzed the quoted preprint in detail, but it seems to be flawed, because Maxwell theory is local classical relativistic field theory, and as such it should not contain matter-related quantities, particularly the fluid-velocity fields at other places than the sources (i.e., charge and current distributions). As such it is very well founded in its great success in describing the observations. As far as we know, it's only to be modified due to quantum effects

It is clear that the Maxwell equations alone are not a closed set of equations. In addition you need the dynamics of the matter. This can be derived, including the Lorentz-force law, from energy-momentum balance equations or even more elegantly using the Hamilton principle of least action.

Last edited:
PhilDSP: I don't understand equation (19) either. In my original post I said I found it convincing up to pg. 4. I don't know why he finds a Galilean invariant form of Maxwell's equations and then goes onto use the Lorentz transformations. He loses me there. Up to pg. 4, however, it was making a lot of sense. I don't see why you shouldn't use the convective term. The change in the local B field is covered by the partial with respect to time, while the convective term covers the change in B (per unit time) due to the fact that the moving observer (detector) is changing position within the B field.
I see Thomas Phipps derives the corresponding wave equations from these altered Maxwell's equations and finds (I guess obviously) that the speed of light obeys standard Galilean relativity.
I found the beginning of this paper to be interesting anyway. Thanks for the feedback

It looks like the author is interested in showing that a mapping can be made between fields defined through equations exhibiting Galilean frame invariance and fields defined through equations exhibiting inertial frame covariant relationships via the LT. Mathematically, he wants to demonstrate that a homomorphism exists. That's not an entirely new concept. Louis de Broglie succeeded in doing that for wave parameters.

This looks like a good place to close this discussion. Physics Essays is considered a very low quality journal which is not well accepted by professional physicists, and giving a paper there this much "air time" is already generous.

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four mathematical equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their relationship to each other.

2. What is the convective derivative in Maxwell's equations?

The convective derivative in Maxwell's equations is a mathematical term that describes the change in a quantity as it moves through a fluid or space. In the context of Maxwell's equations, it represents the change in the electric or magnetic field as it moves through a medium.

3. How do Maxwell's equations relate to electromagnetism?

Maxwell's equations are the foundation of classical electromagnetism, as they describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their relationship to each other. They were first developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s and have been instrumental in our understanding of electromagnetism ever since.

4. What is the physical significance of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations have significant physical significance as they describe the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism. They have been used to explain a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of light to the functioning of electronic devices.

5. How are Maxwell's equations used in practical applications?

Maxwell's equations have numerous practical applications, including the design of electronic devices, the development of communication technologies, and the understanding of electromagnetic waves. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and telecommunications to study and analyze electromagnetic phenomena.