Solving Hard Math Problem: Help Needed!

• Thread starter IndustriaL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the problem of finding the value of r in the equation sqrt(7)^2 = r^2 + r^2 - 2r^2 cos(2pi/3). Different methods are suggested, such as using the law of cosines or the law of sines. It is also mentioned that the value of cos(2pi/3) is -1/2 and that the problem can be simplified by using the identity 1-cos(theta) = 2sin^2(theta/2). Overall, the conversation provides helpful tips and approaches for solving the given problem.
IndustriaL
I have no idea how to do this problem can you guys shed some light?

Sqrt[7]^2 == r^2 + r^2 - 2 * r * r * Cos[2 * Pi / 3]

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean:

[tex] {(\sqrt 7)}^2 = r^2 + r^2 -2rr \cos{(\frac {2 \pi} 3)} [/tex]
?

well first of all, that's the law of cosines. if i were you, i'd draw your triangle out, and use the law of sines which is simpler.
if you really need to solve it that way, its pretty simple. multiply everything out, and then factor out r^2 and solve.

not really sure where you got stuck, but you also have to show your work here.

Is this the problem :

[tex]\sqrt{7}^2 = r^2 + r^2 - 2r^2 cos \left( \frac{2 \pi}{3} \right) [/tex] ?

Can you not simplify the LHS, collect terms in the RHS and plug in the value of the cosine to end up with a trivial quadratic ? Or did I misunderstand the question ?

Gokul43201 said:
Is this the problem :

[tex]\sqrt{7}^2 = r^2 + r^2 - 2r^2 cos \left( \frac{2 \pi}{3} \right) [/tex] ?

Can you not simplify the LHS, collect terms in the RHS and plug in the value of the cosine to end up with a trivial quadratic ? Or did I misunderstand the question ?
Nope! :biggrin:

Also, 1-cos(theta) = 2sin^2(theta/2)
which simplifies most of the things for you, infact i think you can do it with your hands tied behind your back.

-- AI

What is asked actually? to find r? Or something related to the triangle? If it is to find r, cos(2pi/3)=-1/2. the rest is easy.

1. What is the best approach to solving a hard math problem?

The best approach to solving a hard math problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by understanding the problem and identifying any given information. Then, use the appropriate formulas and concepts to solve each step until you reach the final solution.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work on solving math problems, the better you will become at identifying patterns and applying different strategies. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a hard math problem?

If you get stuck on a hard math problem, take a step back and try approaching it from a different angle. You can also try using a different formula or concept to see if it leads to a solution. If you're still stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

4. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

To check your answer to a hard math problem, you can plug it back into the original equation or problem and see if it works. You can also use online calculators or ask a teacher to review your work and provide feedback. It's important to double-check your answer to avoid any careless mistakes.

5. What should I do if I consistently struggle with solving hard math problems?

If you consistently struggle with solving hard math problems, it may be helpful to review the fundamentals and ensure you have a strong understanding of basic concepts. You can also seek out extra help from a tutor or attend extra practice sessions. Don't be discouraged - with persistence and determination, you can improve your problem-solving skills in math.