Proving One-Sided Limits - Jack

• Thread starter jackbauer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the limit as f(x) approaches a from above is equal to the limit as f(x) approaches a from below. The group discusses different methods such as using delta-epsilon proofs and considering the continuity of the function at point a. They also mention that this is only applicable if f(a) exists and provide an example of a function where the limit above and below f(a) is equal but the function is undefined at that point.
jackbauer
Hi people,
could anyone tell me how to prove that the limit as f(x) approaches a from above equals the limit as f(x) approaches a from below? I can't see how to approach this proof, thx

Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
The question as you stated it is too vague. In any case if f(x) is discontinuous, it just won't be true.

Unless you have some sort of piecewise function, I see this as fairly straightfoward. If

(1) [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow{a+}}f(x)=f(a)=\lim_{x\rightarrow{a-}}f(x)[/tex],

then f(x) is continuous at x=a. What is your proof concerning? Continuity, delta-epsilon proofs?

i'm guessing it's the epsilon-delta stuff.

Jameson said:
Unless you have some sort of piecewise function, I see this as fairly straightfoward. If

(1) [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow{a+}}f(x)=f(a)=\lim_{x\rightarrow{a-}}f(x)[/tex],

then f(x) is continuous at x=a. What is your proof concerning? Continuity, delta-epsilon proofs?

That condition is not accurate, consider this function:

[tex]f(x) = \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}[/tex]

The limit above and below f(1) is equal to 2 though it is undefined at that point.

It's obvious that Jameson meant for f(a) (a = 1 in this case) to exist, seeing as he mentioned that something should be equal to it, and in that case, the condition is accurate.

I know what he means. He is talking about a function between points (a,f(a)) and (b,f(b)) and he wants to know how to prove the limit at x=a or x=b

From what I remember in Chapter 2, Calculus AB all you need to do is see limit as x->a or b->b from the existent side, and then plug in the value into the function. If it's the same, it's continuous. If it's not, no continuity.

It's like the following:

limit as x->a of f(x)=b
and f(a)=b

makes a function continuous at point (a,f(a))

right? It's been a good few months.

Yes, I was stating the conditions for a function being continuous at the point a. However, I was not saying continuity is necessary for a limit to exist. Sorry if I was unclear.

1. What is a one-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is a type of limit in calculus that represents the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value from either the left or the right side. It is used to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point and can help determine if a function is continuous at that point.

2. How do you prove a one-sided limit?

To prove a one-sided limit, you must show that the function approaches a specific value from either the left or the right side. This can be done by evaluating the limit at that point using the appropriate one-sided limit notation. If the limit exists and is equal to the value being approached, then the one-sided limit is proven.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value from either the left or the right side. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value from both the left and the right side. In other words, a two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of a function on both sides of a point, while a one-sided limit only considers one side.

4. Can a one-sided limit exist even if the two-sided limit does not?

Yes, it is possible for a one-sided limit to exist even if the two-sided limit does not. This can occur when the function has a discontinuity at the point in question. In this case, the one-sided limits from either side of the point may exist and be equal, but the two-sided limit does not exist.

5. How can one-sided limits be used in real-world applications?

One-sided limits can be used in real-world applications to model and predict the behavior of various physical processes. For example, they can be used in physics to determine the velocity of an object at a specific point in time or to analyze the stability of a system. In economics, one-sided limits can be used to predict the behavior of a market as it approaches a certain price point. Overall, one-sided limits are a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing real-world phenomena.