Canter's method

by Aditya89
Tags: canter, method
Aditya89
Nov18-05, 04:21 AM
P: 23
Can anybody tell me the Canter Method of proving that certain sets are infinite? It is called as "Diagonal Method".
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Zurtex
Nov18-05, 07:10 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,123
Cantor's diagonal argument was used to show that the natural numbers and the real numbers did not have an equal cardinality, in other words there existed no 1 to 1 correspondence between the two sets.

It talks about it here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CantorDiagonalMethod.html

Or more simply:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor's_diagonal_argument
Aditya89
Nov19-05, 04:19 AM
Hey thanks, Zurtex! But from the first link, it does not become clear why it is called "Diagonal Method". Also, can you explain the link between first proof and second proof, please? Also, please tell me how to construct a bijection between Rationals & Reals.

shmoe
Nov19-05, 08:22 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,996

Canter's method

Quote Quote by Aditya89
Hey thanks, Zurtex! But from the first link, it does not become clear why it is called "Diagonal Method". Also, can you explain the link between first proof and second proof, please?
See the wiipedia article, step 5 in the proof singles out the 'diagonal' terms of the list. I only count one proof in the links he gave.

Quote Quote by Aditya89
Also, please tell me how to construct a bijection between Rationals & Reals.
There isn't one. The diagonal argument shows the reals are uncountable while the rationals are countable.
Aditya89
Nov21-05, 04:01 AM
Oh! I'm sorry for saying reals & rationals! It's integers and rationals! And why do you count only one proof?
matt grime
Nov21-05, 04:55 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,398
The rationals are famously countable, try constructing the proof yourself. There are two variants. One is anothert kind of diagonal argument, and the other is by remembering that rational numbers are a subset of the pairs of integers.

Register to reply