Register to reply

Edgar Cayce

by NeedBioInfo
Tags: cayce, edgar
Share this thread:
NeedBioInfo
Nov19-05, 02:20 AM
P: 178
Could somebody give me information on whether or not Edgar Cayce was, for example, a complete fake? Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Ivan Seeking
Nov22-05, 01:44 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
bump

Moved from Mind and Brain Sciences
Kerrie
Nov22-05, 09:11 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,192
I think at this point, the answer to that question is more of a matter of opinion. Edgarcayce.org and the Association for Research and Enlightment of Virginia Beach VA are devoted to the research and documentation of his pyschic episodes. For "pyschic abilities" to ever be validated or unvalidated, this is certainly a step in the right direction. I wonder if Edgar Cayce had lived in modern times if his abilities would have been as accepted as they were decades ago. In my personal opinion, if there is such a thing as pyschic ability that a majority of us don't utilize, then it's easy for those who do know how to use it to make a decent living at it.

loseyourname
Nov22-05, 03:09 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 3,634
Edgar Cayce

Well, the guy remote diagnosed and prescribed treatments for hundreds of people at least. There has to be some record of how successful he was at this; whether or not the patients were cured.
hypatia
Nov22-05, 05:34 PM
P: 1,298
He made a record of everything, and its kept in a hugh library, and is open for any one to study.
To some he is the father of of modern holistic medicine, and most of his cures involved good food and a healthy lifestyle.
SGT
Nov23-05, 10:17 AM
P: n/a
Googling will provide you thousands of believerīs references. If you want a skeptical opinion, read The Skeptic Dictionary
Kerrie
Nov24-05, 04:58 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
Quote Quote by SGT
Googling will provide you thousands of believerīs references. If you want a skeptical opinion, read The Skeptic Dictionary
That's a great site if you are unable to provide an opinion for yourself.
SGT
Nov24-05, 05:20 PM
Quote Quote by Kerrie
That's a great site if you are unable to provide an opinion for yourself.
Would you care to provide your valuable believer opinion?
Evo
Nov24-05, 07:31 PM
Mentor
P: 26,426
Ok, let's not get personal.
Kerrie
Nov24-05, 08:18 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
Quote Quote by SGT
Would you care to provide your valuable believer opinion?

Already did, here it is again:
In my personal opinion, if there is such a thing as pyschic ability that a majority of us don't utilize, then it's easy for those who do know how to use it to make a decent living at it
SGT
Nov25-05, 02:43 AM
Quote Quote by Kerrie
Already did, here it is again:
I want your opinion about Cayce. Was he the real thing, a deluded honest person or a fake?
He did a recent life with his alleged powers, but so do several fakes.
Kerrie
Nov25-05, 03:38 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
Quote Quote by SGT
I want your opinion about Cayce. Was he the real thing, a deluded honest person or a fake?
He did a recent life with his alleged powers, but so do several fakes.
A truly informed opinion of Edgar Cayce would mean having some time studying his documented healings and knowing for sure his medical background. As I stated before, his readings were all documented which is a step in the right direction in investigating that which cannot be proven or disproven. From what I know, I am a bit skeptical, however, not absolutely so since I don't have a fully informed opinion of his background and readings exclusively. What he did was amazing and isn't standard medical healing. We cannot be so absolute in our skeptical viewpoints to rule out knowledge and abilities that are not able to be proven/disproven by our current scientific methods. Science is the pathway to help us understand ourselves and our world, absolute skeptiscm will halt this path.
PIT2
Nov25-05, 03:44 PM
P: 904
Wise words have been spoken.
SGT
Nov25-05, 05:16 PM
Quote Quote by Kerrie
A truly informed opinion of Edgar Cayce would mean having some time studying his documented healings and knowing for sure his medical background. As I stated before, his readings were all documented which is a step in the right direction in investigating that which cannot be proven or disproven. From what I know, I am a bit skeptical, however, not absolutely so since I don't have a fully informed opinion of his background and readings exclusively. What he did was amazing and isn't standard medical healing. We cannot be so absolute in our skeptical viewpoints to rule out knowledge and abilities that are not able to be proven/disproven by our current scientific methods. Science is the pathway to help us understand ourselves and our world, absolute skeptiscm will halt this path.
What do you mean by documented healings? There are only anecdotes. That is not the way medical research is made. To document therapies you need a good diagnosis to begin with. Who diagnosed the illnesses treated by Cayce?
Was there any control group, to confirm that the improvement of health was due to the therapy and not to expontaneous remission?
I will not even ask for double blind studies, that are difficult perform and are not allways possible.
Kerrie
Nov25-05, 07:47 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
Quote Quote by SGT
What do you mean by documented healings? There are only anecdotes. That is not the way medical research is made. To document therapies you need a good diagnosis to begin with. Who diagnosed the illnesses treated by Cayce?
Was there any control group, to confirm that the improvement of health was due to the therapy and not to expontaneous remission?
I will not even ask for double blind studies, that are difficult perform and are not allways possible.
Before this gets heated, you may want to read up on Edgar Cayce.
Aether
Nov25-05, 11:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 717
Quote Quote by Kerrie
A truly informed opinion of Edgar Cayce would mean having some time studying his documented healings and knowing for sure his medical background...From what I know, I am a bit skeptical, however, not absolutely so since I don't have a fully informed opinion of his background and readings exclusively.
Hello Kerrie, As I understand it from conversations with a true fan of Edgar Cayce, E.C. claimed to have been unconcious during all of his readings, and to have no waking memory/understanding whatsoever of what he himself was saying during the readings. He also claimed to have read the King James Bible from cover to cover approximately fourty times during his lifetime, and AFAIK all of his readings were delivered in that same style of English from the year 1611.

Quote Quote by Kerrie
We cannot be so absolute in our skeptical viewpoints to rule out knowledge and abilities that are not able to be proven/disproven by our current scientific methods.
Cayce was once asked by someone during a reading if he could please speak more plainly so that it would be easier to understand what he was saying and Cayce said "listen better!".

Now, doesn't this all sound so very convincing coming from an unconcious white guy in Va. Beach who delivers prophesy (as channeled from a 1st century middle-eastern Bible character, Jesus I think) spoken in 1611 King James English while denying all knowledge while he's awake, hmmm?
Kerrie
Nov26-05, 12:12 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Aether
Now, doesn't this all sound so very convincing coming from an unconcious white guy in Va. Beach who delivers prophesy (as channeled from a 1st century middle-eastern Bible character, Jesus I think) spoken in 1611 King James English while denying all knowledge while he's awake, hmmm?
Sometimes it's really tough to convey a message in an internet discussion forum. I guess the message I am trying to communicate is coming out all wrong. In no way am I claiming to be a believer of Edgar Cayce, in a post above I explicitly state that I am skeptical but open to knowledge I am unaware of. So I am unsure why your message-and SGT's message is addressing me as if I am claiming to believe in Edgar Cayce's prophecies. Other members here have expressed more of a belief then I. Perhaps you can address them as well.

From what I know, I am a bit skeptical, however, not absolutely so since I don't have a fully informed opinion of his background and readings exclusively.
Here is my stand on this subject once again.
Aether
Nov26-05, 06:29 AM
PF Gold
P: 717
Quote Quote by Kerrie
In no way am I claiming to be a believer of Edgar Cayce, in a post above I explicitly state that I am skeptical but open to knowledge I am unaware of. So I am unsure why your message-and SGT's message is addressing me as if I am claiming to believe in Edgar Cayce's prophecies.
You said that "knowing for sure his medical background" was important for forming a truly informed opinion of EC. My message isn't meant to imply anything at all about your beliefs, only to paint a clear and concise picture of what I know about EC's readings.

Register to reply