Lack of social welfare system in China

by Evo
Tags: china, lack, social, welfare
Share this thread:
Evo
Nov20-05, 02:02 PM
Mentor
P: 26,477
This is very sad, a family took their own mother to be cremated while she was still alive because they couldn't afford the medical bills.

Is the welfare system in China really that bad? I'd like to hear from some of our members that are there.

"BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese peasant woman who suffered a brain hemorrhage was left at the undertakers alive for cremation because her family could no longer afford hospital treatment, state media said on Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051118/...IyBHNlYwMxNjk2
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Art
Nov20-05, 04:20 PM
P: 1,511
where's TSM when we need him?

I agree though this is a really sad story. The transition to a free market economy in China has the potential to be even more devastating for the Chinese peasants than Russia's was for their's.
Smurf
Nov20-05, 04:59 PM
P: 2,891
He got banned again for insulting Tom. Didn't you get the PM?

Evo
Nov20-05, 05:01 PM
Mentor
Lack of social welfare system in China

Quote Quote by Smurf
He got banned again for insulting Tom. Didn't you get the PM?
No, that wasn't it.
Smurf
Nov20-05, 05:02 PM
P: 2,891
Oh.... bummer, it was quite amusing.
Mercator
Nov20-05, 05:41 PM
P: 8
Quote Quote by Evo
This is very sad, a family took their own mother to be cremated while she was still alive because they couldn't afford the medical bills.
Is the welfare system in China really that bad? I'd like to hear from some of our members that are there.
"BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese peasant woman who suffered a brain hemorrhage was left at the undertakers alive for cremation because her family could no longer afford hospital treatment, state media said on Friday.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051118/...IyBHNlYwMxNjk2
Yes it's bad, in particular for one part of the population: those that fell out between the cooperatives and the modern "Dengism" economy.
State owned companies are sold out by the government to Chinese would be capitalists (typically the guy with the loudest mouth, best relations etc..) The workers then loose their guaranteed employment, and have nothing to fall back on. More later, I'm on a plane to BJ! (the city!)
Evo
Nov20-05, 05:55 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Mercator
Yes it's bad, in particular for one part of the population: those that fell out between the cooperatives and the modern "Dengism" economy.
State owned companies are sold out by the government to Chinese would be capitalists (typically the guy with the loudest mouth, best relations etc..) The workers then loose their guaranteed employment, and have nothing to fall back on. More later, I'm on a plane to BJ! (the city!)
Have a safe trip!
Astronuc
Nov20-05, 06:19 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
Mercator, give TSM my regards when you see him.

Indeed a very sad story - and the woman is only 47 years of age.

State owned companies are sold out by the government to Chinese would be capitalists (typically the guy with the loudest mouth, best relations etc..) The workers then loose their guaranteed employment, and have nothing to fall back on.
Much the same in Eastern Europe. Some of my friends must get by on the equivalent of $200-$300/month - and quite a few have PhD's. The rush to western capitalist, free-market economies left many behind.
wasteofo2
Nov20-05, 06:33 PM
P: 1,522
Why should they have a social welfare system? The goverment is unelected, and so doesn't really need the public's approval on much. Furthermore, with the amount of people in that country, spreading the wealth around in social welfare programs would invariably spread the wealth far too thin. You've gotta build up quite a bit of lucre in order to have a proper welfare system.

Register to reply