Stay over night in a supposed haunted house

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, someone has dared me to stay over night in a supposed haunted house, the house is remote and i would be taken there and given a candle for light, the house hasn't been lived in for several years, would you do it ?Is the heat on and does the toilet work?
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Someone has dared me to stay over night in a supposed haunted house, the
house is remote and i would be taken there and given a candle for light, the house hasn't been lived in for several years, would you do it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the heat on and does the toilet work? If so, sure! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Is the heat on and does the toilet work? If so, sure! :biggrin:

There is no electricity, i don't know about the toilet, or what condition the house is in.

I'd have to know more about it than what you have given.

One would think those who dared you to stay over will also enact a variety of schemes to enhance your experience...

If the elements of cleanliness, some decent lighting, a good read, an MP3 player, and lots of pizza are provided, I'll do it for you. :biggrin:

I'd do it.

ron damon said:
One would think those who dared you to stay over will also enact a variety of schemes to enhance your experience...
If the elements of cleanliness, some decent lighting, a good read, an MP3 player, and lots of pizza are provided, I'll do it for you. :biggrin:

The only light allowed will be a candle, i guess you could have cold pizza :smile:
i also doubt the house will be verry clean but i don't know yet.

Averagesupernova said:
I'd have to know more about it than what you have given.

The house was for a farm worker, but now casual workers provide all the labour
so the house has stood empty since the last occupant moved on, it is two up
two down brick built, about 300yds from the road up a track way, and some three miles from the nearest village, that is all i know.

What's in it for you if you decide to do it?

moose said:
What's in it for you if you decide to do it?

My pride, i told several people i wouldn't be scared to do some thing like this, so
they went out of their way to find a haunted house to test me :grumpy:

It's one night...can't really be any harder than staying up all night doing homework.

wolram said:
My pride, i told several people i wouldn't be scared to do some thing like this, so they went out of their way to find a haunted house to test me :grumpy:

Why do they think the house is haunted? If, for example, every visitor over the last two years was found dead, that could be a negative.

Yeah, in what way is the house "haunted"? More than anything else, it seems to me the challenge will be dealing with the dirt and insects. And the pranks.

Personally I would want a better light source.

And yes, what sort of phenomena have occurred to make your friends believe this house is haunted?

Ivan Seeking said:
Why do they think the house is haunted? If, for example, every visitor over the last two years was found dead, that could be a negative.

I think it is only old wives tales, it seems several farm workers had moved into the house over the years but left rather quickly, finding council accomodation
instead, i am told the house came with job, so paying for council rent seems
odd, i don't know the house or anyone that has lived in it so i don't know if
any of this is true.

ron damon said:
Yeah, in what way is the house "haunted"? More than anything else, it seems to me the challenge will be dealing with the dirt and insects. And the pranks.

If i take up the dare i will place trip wires across the track way with tin cans on
or any thing i can find.:smile:

Friends and I found a haunted house, and started cleaning it up so we can throw a huge party in it.

I forgot why we ruled it out (maybe the foundation was just too poor).

Anyways, we went there anytime of day or night (the latest being probably around 2-3am). None of us flinched for being the first one to open the door. It was just like walking into Timmy's.

wolram said:
If i take up the dare i will place trip wires across the track way with tin cans on
or any thing i can find.:smile:
I'd recommend claymores.
Seriously, I'd check out the structural integrity during daylight. No such thing as ghosts, but a rotten floor could take the joy out of the experience.

Danger said:
I'd recommend claymores.
Seriously, I'd check out the structural integrity during daylight. No such thing as ghosts, but a rotten floor could take the joy out of the experience.

I think i won't bother to take up the dare, it seems a bit childish now, on the other hand if i can take my shot gun and make clear i will shoot at anything
that moves, i wonder if the dare will stand. :biggrin:

And I'd request a flashlight and enough batteries to keep it on through the night instead of a candle. The last thing you want to do is knock a candle over in an old, dark building that probably has lots of very dry woodwork in it.

I wouldn't want to spend the night in a place without any running water or heat though...maybe if it was summer time and you could head outside to take care of "business." I wouldn't be worried about ghosts, but wouldn't be keen on spending a night with nothing much to do in a cold, musty old house.

Moonbear said:
And I'd request a flashlight and enough batteries to keep it on through the night instead of a candle. The last thing you want to do is knock a candle over in an old, dark building that probably has lots of very dry woodwork in it.

I wouldn't want to spend the night in a place without any running water or heat though...maybe if it was summer time and you could head outside to take care of "business." I wouldn't be worried about ghosts, but wouldn't be keen on spending a night with nothing much to do in a cold, musty old house.

Its tother way round with me, being a country boy and all :smile: i have walked through the halt wood at the dead of night without soiling me briches though.

JasonRox said:
Friends and I found a haunted house, and started cleaning it up so we can throw a huge party in it.
I forgot why we ruled it out (maybe the foundation was just too poor).
Anyways, we went there anytime of day or night (the latest being probably around 2-3am). None of us flinched for being the first one to open the door. It was just like walking into Timmy's.

So you were trespassing? Not a wise idea. I know people that would do things to you for it that would make being hassled by ghosts seem trivial.

I wouldn't be goated into doing anything. But I would want to spend the night, just cause it sounds interesting. And yes, makeing sure the property owners knew I was there, would be a must.

hypatia said:
I wouldn't be goated into doing anything. But I would want to spend the night, just cause it sounds interesting. And yes, makeing sure the property owners knew I was there, would be a must.

I think its the rats that would turn me off, there are all ways rats in these places, oh, and the man with the mask and axe is quite scary, or is it a chain
saw ? apart from that as long as i had some bacon butties to sustain me i would be quite happy, and may be a play boy mag. :biggrin:

Averagesupernova said:
So you were trespassing? Not a wise idea. I know people that would do things to you for it that would make being hassled by ghosts seem trivial.

People don't carry guns in Canada. :biggrin:

Also, people need to relax and not be so uptight and stop power tripping.

wolram said:
apart from that as long as i had some bacon butties to sustain me i would be quite happy, and may be a play boy mag. :biggrin:
And I again repeat...don't go if there isn't running water...or at least a bucket of water and a towel. :tongue2:

I think Wolram is really just looking for excuses. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I think Wolram is really just looking for excuses. :biggrin:

:cry: how could you Ivan, a big brave guy like me aint affraid of nothing :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
And I again repeat...don't go if there isn't running water...or at least a bucket of water and a towel. :tongue2:

Ok, Ok, OK, i will insist :biggrin:

Don't do it. Ghosts will eat you.

Maybe they will only eat the pesky parts that have been giving him so much discomfort?

hypatia said:
Maybe they will only eat the pesky parts that have been giving him so much discomfort?
I believe that you're confusing ghosts with succubi.

Danger said:
I believe that you're confusing ghosts with succubi.

Gordon benit, a ghostly operation seems more possible than one on the nhs,
where do i sign :confused:

Oh... those bits.

1. Can staying overnight in a haunted house be dangerous?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that staying overnight in a haunted house is physically dangerous. However, it is important to take precautions and be aware of any potential hazards in the house, such as structural damage or environmental hazards.

2. What causes people to feel scared or uneasy in a haunted house?

The feeling of fear or unease in a haunted house is often due to the power of suggestion and the belief that the house is haunted. Our brains are wired to find patterns and make connections, so when we are in a spooky environment, our minds may start to interpret normal sounds or sensations as paranormal activity.

3. Is there any scientific explanation for paranormal activity in a haunted house?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts or other paranormal entities. Many supposed haunted houses can be explained by natural phenomena, such as creaky floorboards, drafts, or even psychological factors.

4. How can I protect myself from potential paranormal activity in a haunted house?

There is no surefire way to protect yourself from paranormal activity in a haunted house, as it is not scientifically proven to exist. However, some people may find comfort in using protective rituals or objects, such as sage smudging or religious symbols, to ease their fears.

5. Can staying overnight in a haunted house help me communicate with spirits?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that staying overnight in a haunted house can help you communicate with spirits. Any perceived communication with spirits is likely due to the power of suggestion and the belief that the house is haunted. It is important to approach any paranormal experiences with a critical and rational mindset.