>Time travel is temporarily possible, at low speed :-)

In summary, the conversation covers topics such as time travel, the concept of existence, and philosophical arguments. The speakers discuss the possibility of time travel and its limitations, as well as the question of proving one's existence. The conversation also includes a humorous joke about Descartes. Overall, the conversation delves into thought-provoking ideas and theories.
kleinwolf
>Time travel is temporarily possible, at "low" speed :-)

This is easy : just go west, faster than 40000km/24=1'666km/h...then starting at 0:00 you arrive before the sun at the next parallel and hence before 0:00...but I don't know if it possible to make that sense of humour recharged of fuel for a long time...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not time travel...

I can travel through time. If I lay down and a darkened room and try to relax entirely, I suddenly find that it is several hours later. How cool is that?

I'd be extremely surprised to find there was anyone anywhere who wasn't constantly traveling through time.

oh, there has been a few times late at night when I'd already replied to every post and I could have sworn that time stopped while I waited for someone to reply so I could post again.

time in fact doesn't exsist but only metaphysically can it be proven that it is a man made object to fool the "observer"

MohammadK said:
time in fact doesn't exsist but only metaphysically can it be proven that it is a man made object to fool the "observer"
Ok...Prove it.

I would if I had the time

Prove it huh?

well to prove that itself time exsists is in such a way to prove a wavefunction properties of time this in its paradoxal form is like proving your exsistence...Can you prove you exsist? The Ultimate question to every answer.

MohammadK said:
well to prove that itself time exsists is in such a way to prove a wavefunction properties of time this in its paradoxal form is like proving your exsistence...Can you prove you exsist? The Ultimate question to every answer.
I think, therefore I am.

I think I am; therefore, I am I am.

I think therefor I am?

You know if you really spend some time and thought about it " I think therefor I am" doesn't really prove your exsistence, exsistence realtive to space and time had other atributes to itself concerning you true state of living to non-living. Did you exsist 200 years ago when you great grandparents would have given birth to your grand parents and they giving birth to YOUR parents and you in a state of a pre-exsisting embryo. Think about it.

I am... yet i don't think much.

kleinwolf said:
This is easy : just go west, faster than 40000km/24=1'666km/h...then starting at 0:00 you arrive before the sun at the next parallel and hence before 0:00...but I don't know if it possible to make that sense of humour recharged of fuel for a long time...

This totally ignores the grandfather paradox. If, using your method, I travel back in time and kill my grandfather, there's just no way I'll be able to get back and deposit his money into my account before the bank closes.

Aether said:
I think, therefore I am.
Fallicious argument. In order to think you first have to exist so that sentence is really saying "I exist, therefore I exist". That's begging the question.You also used it wrong, Descartes used all of it as a premise, not as an argument in it's self. He later changed it to "I am, I exist." to clear up the misunderstanding because people kept thinking he was infering something.Joke time!

Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he would like another. "I think not," he says and vanishes in a puff of logic.

Last edited:
Smurf said:
Fallicious argument. In order to think you first have to exist so that sentence is really saying "I exist, therefore I exist". That's begging the question.

You also used it wrong, Descartes used all of it as a premise, not as an argument in it's self. He later changed it to "I am, I exist." to clear up the misunderstanding because people kept thinking he was infering something.
OK, you are correct.

So, after considering everything very thoroughly, I must finally conclude that the proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind. -- Descartes

Smurf said:
Fallicious argument. In order to think you first have to exist so that sentence is really saying "I exist, therefore I exist". That's begging the question.
If you take 'I think, therefore I exist', or 'P | Q', as an argument with 'P' as the premise and 'Q' as the conclusion, it certainly can't be circular because it isn't valid. However, if you add the premise 'P -> Q' (P implies Q), as you did in asserting that in order to think you first have to exist, it becomes an instance of Modus Ponens, '(P -> Q), P | Q', which isn't circular. You are correct, in a way, that '(P -> Q), P | Q' and 'Q | Q' are saying the same thing in that they are both valid arguments and have corresponding tautologies and theorems in classical logic. '(P -> Q), P | Q' becomes '(((P -> Q) & P) -> Q)' and 'Q | Q' becomes '(Q -> Q)'. In the same way, 'P | Q' corresponds to '(P -> Q)', which is what I had always thought he was asserting. But it seems he was just saying that 'Q' is a performative tautology, i.e., that 'I exist' is always true when the thing that 'I' refers to asserts that 'I exist' is true. Makes me wonder what kinds of things can make assertions. I mean, my printer doesn't make an assertion when it prints 'I exist'... or does it? hmmm...

Um, and I might incur the wrath of the stupid joke gods, but that joke seems to rely on the fallacy of denying the antecedent, '(P -> Q), ~P | ~Q'. Or maybe that was the joke. hmmm...
Now, if he had said 'I do not exist'... :rofl: Yeah. Good stuff.

Last edited:

What is time travel?

Time travel refers to the concept of moving between different points in time, either backward or forward, in a manner analogous to moving between different points in space.

Is time travel possible?

Currently, time travel is not possible as there is no scientific evidence or technology that supports it. However, some theories in physics, such as general relativity, suggest that time travel may be possible in the future.

What are the potential consequences of time travel?

The potential consequences of time travel are still unknown and highly debated among scientists. Some theories suggest that it could lead to paradoxes and disrupt the natural flow of time, while others argue that it may be possible to travel to parallel universes or alternate timelines.

How do scientists study time travel?

Currently, scientists study time travel through theoretical physics and mathematical equations. They also conduct experiments using particle accelerators to test the principles of time dilation and other theories related to time travel.

What advancements need to be made for time travel to become a reality?

In order for time travel to become a reality, significant advancements need to be made in understanding the fundamental principles of time and space, as well as the development of advanced technology that can manipulate these principles. This may include advancements in fields such as quantum mechanics and engineering.