Register to reply

Uncertainty question

by Pepsi24chevy
Tags: uncertainty
Share this thread:
Pepsi24chevy
Dec6-05, 03:01 PM
P: 65
In an atom, an electron is confined to a space of roughly 10^-10 meters. If we take this to be the uncertainty in the electron's position, what is the minimum uncertainty in its momentum?

delta(x)delta(p)>h (this is how it was derived in the previous parts to the problem)
Ok so i know px = mvx and m = 9.11X10^-31 kg and that delta px = 10^-10(px). I guess where i am stuck is, what do i do with the velocity term?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
Galileo
Dec6-05, 03:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,002
You are not asked about the velocity. You are asked about the uncertainty in momentum. So you got [itex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \hbar[/itex] (or without the bar, depening on what version your book has).

So you know [itex]\Delta x[/itex], that was given and you are asked the minimum value [itex]\Delta p[/itex] can take without violating the inequality. You should be able to tell that immediately from the equation. Or least least without reference to other relations.
Pepsi24chevy
Dec6-05, 04:04 PM
Quote Quote by Galileo
You are not asked about the velocity. You are asked about the uncertainty in momentum. So you got [itex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \hbar[/itex] (or without the bar, depening on what version your book has).
So you know [itex]\Delta x[/itex], that was given and you are asked the minimum value [itex]\Delta p[/itex] can take without violating the inequality. You should be able to tell that immediately from the equation. Or least least without reference to other relations.
am i missing some or would it be 1.05e-34J/10e-10?

Galileo
Dec6-05, 05:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Uncertainty question

That's right. Simply [itex]\Delta p_{min}=\hbar/\Delta x[/itex]. What would you be missing?
Pepsi24chevy
Dec6-05, 06:32 PM
well the answer should be in kg*m/s thats why i feel i am missing something, but its probably just a conversion or something?
Galileo
Dec6-05, 06:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
The answer is in kg m/s, since that is the unit of momentum. The units of h is Js. Since J=Nm=kgm^2/s^2 you can work it out.

Register to reply