Register to reply

Uncertainty question

by Pepsi24chevy
Tags: uncertainty
Share this thread:
Pepsi24chevy
Dec6-05, 03:01 PM
P: 65
In an atom, an electron is confined to a space of roughly 10^-10 meters. If we take this to be the uncertainty in the electron's position, what is the minimum uncertainty in its momentum?

delta(x)delta(p)>h (this is how it was derived in the previous parts to the problem)
Ok so i know px = mvx and m = 9.11X10^-31 kg and that delta px = 10^-10(px). I guess where i am stuck is, what do i do with the velocity term?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
Giant crater in Russia's far north sparks mystery
NASA Mars spacecraft prepare for close comet flyby
Galileo
Dec6-05, 03:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,002
You are not asked about the velocity. You are asked about the uncertainty in momentum. So you got [itex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \hbar[/itex] (or without the bar, depening on what version your book has).

So you know [itex]\Delta x[/itex], that was given and you are asked the minimum value [itex]\Delta p[/itex] can take without violating the inequality. You should be able to tell that immediately from the equation. Or least least without reference to other relations.
Pepsi24chevy
Dec6-05, 04:04 PM
Quote Quote by Galileo
You are not asked about the velocity. You are asked about the uncertainty in momentum. So you got [itex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \hbar[/itex] (or without the bar, depening on what version your book has).
So you know [itex]\Delta x[/itex], that was given and you are asked the minimum value [itex]\Delta p[/itex] can take without violating the inequality. You should be able to tell that immediately from the equation. Or least least without reference to other relations.
am i missing some or would it be 1.05e-34J/10e-10?

Galileo
Dec6-05, 05:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Uncertainty question

That's right. Simply [itex]\Delta p_{min}=\hbar/\Delta x[/itex]. What would you be missing?
Pepsi24chevy
Dec6-05, 06:32 PM
well the answer should be in kg*m/s thats why i feel i am missing something, but its probably just a conversion or something?
Galileo
Dec6-05, 06:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
The answer is in kg m/s, since that is the unit of momentum. The units of h is Js. Since J=Nm=kgm^2/s^2 you can work it out.

Register to reply