(kronig penney) E > Uo still valence energy?

• Thread starter esdegan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the Kronig-Penney model shows that the valence bands, which contain the total number of non-core electrons contributed by the atoms to the crystal, can have energies that are greater than the quantum well potential. This potential is not equivalent to valence energy, but rather a coulombic attraction energy between neighboring atoms. Therefore, it should not be associated with conduction. In the simplest model of an undoped semiconductor at zero temperature, the valence band is filled and can still contribute zero net conductivity regardless of the energies of the electrons in the band.
esdegan
Hello, I'm trying to understand the kronig penney model which leads to E-k diagram and eventually to conductance energy Ec and valence energy Ev for semiconductor model.

Hmm... I'm having a hard time to describe this, but I'm reading Pierret book now and the solution for kronig penney model shows that the valence bands are the lowest energy bands which would contain the total number of non-core electrons, contributed by the atoms to the crystal.

These valence bands can be at energy larger than the quantum well potential in the kronig penney model. When electron has energy > well potential, doesn't it become a 'free' electron? doesn't that means the electron is a carrier? How to reconcile this with the fact that this energy is still valence energy, not conductance energy?

Isn't this well potential the same as the covalence bond potential energy? If electrons in valence band are those in covalence bonds, doesn't it mean their energy must be less than the well potential?

Thank you in advance for your help.
-andre

Physics news on Phys.org
In the nearly free electron approximation, the important effect of the potential is to produce a band gap at the zone boundaries where Bragg diffraction makes the electron energies degenerate in the free electron limit. The electrons can have energy greater than the step height in the Kronig-Penny model (I'm not considering the delta function limit) but they still have to sit in the band structure with its band gaps. What makes a band inert from the point of view of conduction is whether it is filled or not. In the simplest model of an undoped semiconductor at zero temperature, the valence band is filled while the conduction band is empty and they are separated by a band gap. Since it is filled, the valence band can still give you zero net contribution to the conductivity regardless of the energies of the electrons in the band.

Last edited:
Ah i misunderstood what that well potential. After reading your answer, I realized i mistaken that potential as valence energy, while it actually is a coulombic attraction energy between 2 neighboring atoms, isn't it? So I should not associate that potential energy with conduction.

Thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it.

1. What is the Kronig-Penney potential?

The Kronig-Penney potential is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic crystal lattice. It takes into account the periodic nature of the lattice and the potential energy barriers that the electrons encounter as they move through the lattice.

2. How does the Kronig-Penney potential affect the energy levels of electrons?

The Kronig-Penney potential can create energy bands, or regions of allowed energies, for the electrons in the crystal. These bands are separated by energy gaps, where the electrons are not allowed to exist. The energy levels of electrons in a crystal are determined by the shape and strength of the Kronig-Penney potential.

3. What is the significance of the valence energy in the Kronig-Penney potential?

The valence energy, also known as the conduction band minimum, is the energy level at which electrons have enough energy to move from the valence band to the conduction band. This energy level is important because it determines the conductivity and other electronic properties of the material.

4. How does the valence energy change when the potential energy is increased above the threshold value?

When the potential energy is increased above the threshold value, the valence energy also increases. This means that the energy bands become wider and the energy gap between them becomes smaller. As a result, more electrons can move from the valence band to the conduction band, increasing the conductivity of the material.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Kronig-Penney potential?

Yes, the Kronig-Penney potential is used in the study of semiconductors and other crystalline materials to understand their electronic properties. It is also used in the design of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes, which rely on the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice.