Classical mechaincs problem (weird one)

• Thread starter Ahmes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classical
In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving a particle mass traveling in a one dimensional potential. The question asks to find the period of the particle, but the terms used, such as "tg" and "g^2", are causing confusion. The speaker also mentions that most of their homework questions are taken from specific mechanics books, but they were unable to find a similar question in those books. Eventually, it is revealed that "tg" actually refers to the tangent function and the speaker asks if they still need help.
Ahmes
Hi,
I've been given a homework question I don't even know what it means:
A particle mass m travels in a one dimensional potential [tex]V=V_0 t g^2 (\alpha r)[/tex]. Find its period.
This is the question exactly as it appears. Now, can t be time? We haven't even touched time-dependent potentials (it's an undergraduate course).
Also, is [tex]g^2[/tex] a function of [tex]\alpha r[/tex]? and what does [tex]\alpha r[/tex] mean? (my guess is distance from the center*constant).

Most of our homework questions are taken (with some variation) from either Goldstein's Mechanics book or the Landau-Lif****z one [COME ON! THE BOOK'S NAME IS LANDAU-LIFSHI&Z (&=T)], but in neither could I locate any question similar to that. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well it appears that "tg" is actually the tangent function - Those idiots (can I say idiots?) used italic script so I was certain they ment 't' and 'g' as variables. Beside no one uses "tg" as tangent in printed/electronic media

So do you still need help?

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of particles and their interactions with forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravity described by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What makes a problem in classical mechanics "weird"?

A problem in classical mechanics is considered "weird" if it involves counterintuitive scenarios or unexpected outcomes that challenge our understanding of the laws of motion and forces.

3. Can you give an example of a "weird" classical mechanics problem?

An example of a "weird" classical mechanics problem is the double-slit experiment, which shows the wave-like behavior of particles like electrons. This challenges the classical understanding of particles as solid, indivisible objects.

4. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature.

5. Why is the study of classical mechanics still important in modern physics?

Classical mechanics serves as the foundation for many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism. It also provides useful approximations for practical applications, such as engineering and astronomy.