Magnetic Field of Rectangular Loop: Solving for P Far Away

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the magnetic field at point P due to a rectangular loop carrying a current, assuming P is very far away. The equation obtained is similar to that of a circular loop. The conversation also includes a hint to treat opposite sides of the rectangle together, but to carefully consider the direction of the magnetic field due to each side. The conversation also mentions using approximations and integrals to solve the problem.
stunner5000pt
CXosnider a rectangular loop carrying a current i as shown in teh figure. Point P is located a distance x from the cneter of the loop. Find an epxression for tha mgnetic field at P due to the current loop assuming that P is very far away.
WIth [itex] \mu = iA = iab [/itex] obtain an expression similar to that of a circular looop which is [tex] B = \frac{\mu_{0} \mu}{2 \pi x^3} [/tex]
for the field due to a distant dipole at points in the plane of the loop (perpendicular to the axis.)
Hint: Opposite sides can we treated together but consider carefully the direction of B due to each side

Well
for vertical sides (sides of length b) the magnetic field due to them both is zero because of the right rule, their magnetic field are in opposite directions and equal (equal becuase x >> a/2)

for the hirzontal sides however, the same doesn't not apply, the magnetic field is not zero since due to them both th magnetic field points out of the page.

not since x is big am i right in assuming taht [itex] \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{b^2}{4}} \approx x [/itex] ??
in that case
[tex] B = \frac{2 \mu_{0} i}{2 \pi x} = \frac{\mu_{0} i}{\pi x} [/tex]
is this right?

im not sure ho to proced with teh second part of the quesiton..

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
The contributions from the vertical sides don't exactly cancel and for the horizontal sides you left out a geometric factor (vector cross product in Biot-Savart).

i understnad taht that is true... but can't i do the approximation ??

for the vertical pieces of wire ..
well for 2 pieces of wire
[tex] B = 2 \frac{\mu_{0} i}{4 \pi} \int \frac{ds \times x}{x^3} [/tex]
here s is constant and r is constant

[tex] B = 2 \frac{\mu_{0} i b}{4 \pi x^2} [/tex] is that correct?

Last edited:
You can do an approximation but just not the one you're attempting!

Biot-Savart will involve integrals over the length of each side of quantities like

[tex]\frac {d\vec l \times \vec r}{r^2}[/tex]

E.g., the right side is a/2 units from the center so that [itex]\vec r = (x-a/2)\hat i + y \hat j[/itex] where y is the vertical coordinate (the variable you will integrate over). Also, [itex]d\vec l = dy \hat j[/itex] so you can form the vector cross product [itex]d\vec l \times \vec r[/itex]. You'll integrate this (vector) from y = -b/2 to +b/2. Notice that [itex]r^2 = (x-a/2)^2 + y^2[/itex]

Similarly, for the left side [itex]\vec r = (x+a/2)\hat i + y \hat j[/itex]. In this case, [itex]r^2 = (x + a/2)^2 + y^2[/itex]. The two integrals (from left side and right side) do not cancel out.

1. What is a rectangular loop?

A rectangular loop is a wire loop that is shaped like a rectangle and carries an electric current. It is also known as a solenoid or a coil.

2. How is the magnetic field of a rectangular loop calculated?

The magnetic field of a rectangular loop can be calculated using the formula B = μ0NI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the loop, and I is the current flowing through the loop.

3. Can the magnetic field of a rectangular loop be affected by the shape of the loop?

Yes, the magnetic field of a rectangular loop can be affected by the shape of the loop. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can change depending on the dimensions and orientation of the loop.

4. How does the magnetic field of a rectangular loop change as you move further away from it?

The magnetic field of a rectangular loop decreases as you move further away from it. This is because the strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the loop.

5. What is the significance of finding the magnetic field of a rectangular loop at a point far away?

Finding the magnetic field of a rectangular loop at a point far away is important for understanding how the loop can affect objects in its surroundings. It can also be used for calculations and applications in electromagnetism, such as in the design of motors and generators.