Register to reply

Good Biology books for beginners?

by pivoxa15
Tags: beginners, biology, books
Share this thread:
pivoxa15
Dec14-05, 03:07 PM
P: 2,267
I have never been taught biology but would like to learn about it through books. I have basic physics and chemistry knowledge. Can anyone recommand an especially good book or textbook that covers the major areas of biology in a clear and concise manner?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Healthy humans make nice homes for viruses
Me, my neuroprocessor, and I: Preparing for a hybrid world
Australian mosquito appears in California
Moonbear
Dec14-05, 03:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
The best textbook I've come across is Campbell's Biology text. It's written for general biology at a university level, so it might take some time reading through it to understand everything, but it's thorough, clearly written, and includes really useful illustrations. If you get that text, I'd also highly recommend getting the accompanying Study Guide and Introduction to Concept Mapping. That will really help you if you plan to study independently.
pivoxa15
Dec14-05, 04:16 PM
P: 2,267
Quote Quote by Moonbear
The best textbook I've come across is Campbell's Biology text. It's written for general biology at a university level, so it might take some time reading through it to understand everything, but it's thorough, clearly written, and includes really useful illustrations. If you get that text, I'd also highly recommend getting the accompanying Study Guide and Introduction to Concept Mapping. That will really help you if you plan to study independently.
Are you referring to this book?

Author Campbell, Neil A., 1946-
Title Biology / Neil A. Campbell.
Published Menlo Park, Calif. : Benjamin/Cummings Pub. Co., c1996.

Moonbear
Dec14-05, 06:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Good Biology books for beginners?

Quote Quote by pivoxa15
Are you referring to this book?
Author Campbell, Neil A., 1946-
Title Biology / Neil A. Campbell.
Published Menlo Park, Calif. : Benjamin/Cummings Pub. Co., c1996.
Yes, though there is probably a more recent edition. However, if you're doing self-study and don't need the most recent edition for a class, getting an older, used copy is probably much more affordable. A few things may have changed, but not enough to warrant the higher price tag of the newest edition for your purpose.

Register to reply