Proving Line and Plane Perpendicular: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, to prove if a line is perpendicular to a plane, the line must be parallel to the normal vector of the plane. To find the parametric equations for the line of intersection of two planes, you can use the equations of the planes to solve for two unknowns in terms of the third, and use that third unknown as a parameter. Alternatively, you can add the equations of the planes together to eliminate one variable, and then solve for the remaining variables in terms of a parameter.
cmab
How can i proove if this line is perpendicular to this one?
Line
x=-2-4y, y=3-2t, z=1+2t
Plane
2x+y-z=5
I don't care that much about the answer, I want the procedure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure exactly what you mean, but a line is perpendicular to a plane if it is parallel to the normal of the plane...

i think he means this: the direction vector of your line is the vector of coefficients of the letter t, so (-4,-2,2).

The "normal" vector (perpendicular) to your plane is the vector of coefficients of the letters, x,y,z, so (2,1,-1). these two vectors are proportional, by a scale factor of -2, so the answer is yes.

mathwonk said:
i think he means this: the direction vector of your line is the vector of coefficients of the letter t, so (-4,-2,2).
The "normal" vector (perpendicular) to your plane is the vector of coefficients of the letters, x,y,z, so (2,1,-1). these two vectors are proportional, by a scale factor of -2, so the answer is yes.

Thanks, it is appriciated.

How do we find the parametric equations for the line of intersection of the given planes
7x-2y+3z = -2 and -3x+y+2z+5=0

:approve:

cmab said:
How do we find the parametric equations for the line of intersection of the given planes
7x-2y+3z = -2 and -3x+y+2z+5=0
:approve:

add 2 to both sides of the first equation.

so we have 7x -2y + 3z + 2 = 0

now we can set the equations equal to each other and that should give you the line of intersection. I'm not entirely sure of this though so I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

d_leet said:
add 2 to both sides of the first equation.
so we have 7x -2y + 3z + 2 = 0
now we can set the equations equal to each other and that should give you the line of intersection. I'm not entirely sure of this though so I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

Sorry that was wrong, I just remembered how to do this. Find the normal vectors to each plane, and take their cross product, and you know that this vector will be parallel to the line in which they intersect so you can just find one point of intersection and write the parametric equations for the line knowing the parallel vector.

No, that would work perfectly well. From 7x-2y+3z = -2 you get
7x- 2y+ 3z+ 2= 0. Since we want -3x+y+2z+5=0 on the line of intersection also: 7x- 2y+ 3z+ 2= -3x+ y+ 2z+ 5, one equation in three unknowns. You can use that together with either of the orignal equations to have 2 equations in 3 unknowns. Solve for two of x,y,z in terms of the other and use the third as "parameter".
Or course, you could just as easily use the two given equations to solve for two of the unknowns in terms of the other. I don't see any reason to take a cross-product of two vectors.
Here's how I would do the problem:
Since -3x+y+2z+5=0 and 7x-2y+3z = -2, multiply the first equation by 2 to get -6x+ 2y+ 4z+ 10= 0 and write the second equation as 7x- 2y+ 3z+ 2= 0. Now add those two equations: x+ 7z+ 12= 0. x= -7z- 12.
Put that back into the first equation: -3(-7z-12)+ y+ 2z-5= 0 which gives y= -2z+ 5-21z- 36= -23z-31.

Assuming my arithmetic is correct (which I wouldn't guarentee), parametric equations for the line of intersection are:
x= -7t- 12
y= -23t- 31
z= t.

1. How do I determine if a line and plane are perpendicular?

To determine if a line and plane are perpendicular, you can use the dot product. First, find the direction vector of the line and the normal vector of the plane. Then, take the dot product of these two vectors. If the dot product is equal to 0, the line and plane are perpendicular.

2. What is the equation for a perpendicular line and plane?

The equation for a perpendicular line and plane can be written as A·B = 0, where A is the direction vector of the line and B is the normal vector of the plane.

3. Can a line and plane be perpendicular if they don't intersect?

Yes, a line and plane can be perpendicular even if they don't intersect. Perpendicularity is determined by the angle between the line and the plane, not their intersection.

4. Is it possible for two planes to be perpendicular?

Yes, two planes can be perpendicular if their normal vectors are perpendicular to each other. This means that the angle between the two planes would be 90 degrees.

5. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to prove perpendicularity between a line and a plane?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the sides of a right triangle. It cannot be used to prove perpendicularity between a line and a plane.